trap shaped scoops

• sks01
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 5 months ago #4780 by sks01
trap shaped scoops was created by sks01
might be one for tony this, in a trap shaped scoop how does the horn path work out, i keep trying to work out how the internals might manifest and i allways seem to come up with negative expansion or a realy small throat so most drivers dont seem to take too well to it, in addition i usualy end up with a quite ridiculous amount of expasnsion just before the mouth. theese seem to be rather detrimental to getting a nice low end response as far as i can tell.

any help much apreciated

do it for the love of the music

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4783 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic trap shaped scoops
Just make sure the speaker is looking into an expansion. On a rear loaded horn such as the 'scoop', to start with, the shape may look to be at odds with what has to be achieved, but as long as, in any part of the horn, there is no reduction in the rate of expansion, it will work. When I did the RX121, I drew it and went for it. No proto's or experiments. As many people know I've never modeled anything, I'm not convinced that this approach can give you the perfect box. Draw things out in full and get a feel for the cab as you're doing it. This is what used to work for me.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• sks01
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 5 months ago #4784 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic trap shaped scoops
much appreciated tony, as you might be able to tell im just trying to get more of a feel for design at the moment so knowing bits and bobs like that are always useful.

do it for the love of the music

More
15 years 5 months ago #4786 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic trap shaped scoops
good luck with this if you go ahead with it

you mite have to ask yourself...is it worth it?

we once did some 2 x 15'' trap 2 fold hornloaded bins, that turned out to be awesome
we never made any more than 2 because the amount of angles you have to remember is mind boggling
so a scoop has to have allot more angles

any voids in this type of trap Tony?

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 5 months ago #4789 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic trap shaped scoops
Mikey, you should know the answer to the question-"is it worth it" If you have the chance to make a great cab, nothing should get in your way, let alone some tricky woodwork that takes a bit of sorting out. I've always said if I could do it anyone can.
Regarding the cab. The horn path is pure expansion. Don't gorget, bass waves are not affected by small shapes because of defraction. They only recognize a given volume to work in.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds