Building a soundsystem

• Nattyroots
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago - 7 years 11 months ago #19620 by Nattyroots
Building a soundsystem was created by Nattyroots
Greetings everyone...

For several months I've decided start planing which speakers should I use for playing lovely roots reggae...Don't wanna nothing huge, just enough to cover nice the mids ( I believe)..you know, that percussions that it's always way behind and so low when you listen... Hours of reading here and other sites and forums..."billions" of plans just made me more confused and confused...anyway...
I decided to go for 2 Scoops 18"(I think it's Fane or Eminence) and something for mids and tops...thinking maybe 2x12" + 1 or 2x12" plus a tweeter box with 4?!
I would appreciate some light, help, tips, suggestions...

Many thanks

Bless and Love
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Nattyroots. Reason: reformulating my idea and speech; the post was not well written too...thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nattyroots
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #19621 by Nattyroots
Replied by Nattyroots on topic Re: Building a soundsystem

More
11 years 1 month ago #19631 by rob.parkinson
Replied by rob.parkinson on topic Re: Building a soundsystem
Hi Nattyroots.

if your planing a basic reggae system on a budget then i think you are probably on the right track with Scoops. those Eminence 18s from the old Eminence Enclosure design book are pretty good, they have the advantage of bing pretty easy to build and the Fane 18XB would be a nice fit. the sizings may confuse you as the original plan had a single diagram and different dimensions for 12" 15" and 18" versions. if you fancied more of a build challenge then HOGs might be a nice idea.

Why are you thinking of a G sub? if you are going to shell out on a 2 more 18" drivers then i would suggest that building 4 scoops instead of 2 is a much better idea.

4 scoops and 2 2way tops is pretty decent for a small start up reggae rig and should get some trousers ruffling nicely. wont break the bank on amplification either.

• Nattyroots
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #19632 by Nattyroots
Thank you Rob...
I am building for the first time, so this is already a challenge...and I have the boards cutted for 1scoop....
And yeah I am on a budget but a way also to be easier and simple..so that's why I was thinking square boxs on the top... I thought the 2 scoops with 18's, a Gsub or something similar squarish with double 15's it's what I have in mind...and then small box with a tweeter and horn...I' ve seen some plans and here on FSP, Eminence designs - Mid to High - I like the double 12's +tweeter +horn angled...
But about the scoops I just can't find plans of that scoop with the angles...I just saw angles on the Fane plans wich are similar...
About the amps I didn't get it there yet, but probably have to write something here too...
Once again, many thanks Rob

Bless and Love

More
11 years 1 month ago #19635 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Building a soundsystem
The scoops and the G sub would cover the same band of sound. The G subs would go a little higher, but if midbass is what you are looking for, I would not bother with a gigantic sub box. Make a box optimized to bridge the gap between your tops and the scoops, or else just make 4 scoops as previously suggested) and tops that can go that low.

• Nattyroots
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #19638 by Nattyroots
Thank you for the reply...
But how about the mids? I read that makes a lot of difference...
Any sugestions for the tops?!

Bless and Love

More
11 years 1 month ago #19641 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: Building a soundsystem
I am in a similar position trying to decide how I want to proceed with my mids. There are lots of options, but everyone is a compromise. Traditional horn loading gets more volume but has narrower frequency bands and often very narrow dispersion. Reflex has a wide band, but I might need more to keep up with my horn loaded subs. I am thinking I may build something similar to the SMT for the mid section. Sort of In between horn loaded and reflex hybrid kinda deal. I will just build the cone driver section though, if that is the way I go. I already have a Compression Driver treble section I am pretty happy with but I need something so I won't have to add extra bands with extra phasing and requiring extra processing, which I don't have right now.

• Nattyroots
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #19643 by Nattyroots
Congratulations bgrade...and blessings on your building...
see...I am in a different position..I mean ...I am a complete ignorant, unware and still not total informed about PA's...Amps, Ohms, cables, watts, electricity...this is all new to me... that's why I wanna try things simple....this is total new territory to me wich I am not comfortable...the money issue its always a problem in a way...that I don't wanna waste money and then things don't work out...Love for the music, vibes and the message it's what keeps me up to go for it and try doing it...so phasing, processing it's like another language to me...anyway...thanks

More
9 years 7 months ago #22001 by Flávio
Replied by Flávio on topic Building a soundsystem
Good evening I'm from Brazil and I registered on the site to be able to take my doubts in the construction of two super scooper. Leveraging open topic'm trasendo a link from a speaker of ouversound value acecivel.http: //www.oversound.com.br/produtos/alto-falantes/pro/18-800-st/ like to know why you exper on the subject of super scooper if this speaker fits almost equal to PD 1850? Sera that give to have a good redimento the scooper? Hugs and I'm waiting for an answer. God bless

More
9 years 5 months ago #22216 by chris-dubwise
Replied by chris-dubwise on topic Building a soundsystem
Greetings to one and all,
I have built dubwise hi-fi ( www.facebook.com/DubwiseHiFi ) in 2007 and running it in Greece since then.
it was my first stack and the scoops were not build exactly to standard... now two of them are facing serious issues at the external joints and it is time to do something..

My plan for the new stack:

I am already building 6 superscooper cabs and thinking to load them with the new PDN1852 drivers. any thoughts? has anybody tried them?
otherwise i will go for the PD1850 i have already used and i am very pleased.

My main problem is with the bass cabinets.
So far i have used the HD-15 (did not like them for dub-reggae music),
now i am using 2 W bins loaded with 2 PD 154 each, better than the HD15 but stil do not get the weight i want on that area,
so i am thinking to use 2 G sub cabinets loaded with PD 186
what do you think??? any advice??

I have the 35-90Hz covered nicely by the scoops.
the 180-2000 Hz covered by 6 PD121 fitted on reflex boxes (not horn assisted - since amplification is not a problem - )
the tops 2000- 20000 Hz covered by 4 Fane CD314
does this sounds like a plan??
what about the 90 -180 HZ ??????

any thoughts-suggestions-advises are welcome

Respect n Blessings
Chris

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds