• Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #18970 by levyte357
PD1851s in Hog Scoops was created by levyte357

Paulie Paul wrote:
Can I have a go??

As previously stated, there is no mention of what the term 'blown' describes.... I'm guessing the dead drivers have burnt coils because if there was a mechanical problem (ripped cones/glue issues etc) it would have been clearly stated. It is also worrying that the thread was started without any investigations happening first ("our engineer is away" - and?) and that the question of build quality was raised.

A bit of background info to consider (which prompted the above);

As many may know, I supplied these drivers new in December 2011, I took in p/ex a number of May 2010 dated PD.1850's, ten to be exact. Out of that ten, only two worked, the rest were blown. In addition to this, out of that eight blown drivers four were RMJ recones which indicates that they have been blown previously, one of the working drivers was also an RMJ recone. I left two other PD.1850's in Edinburgh that night which Electrikal wanted to keep, again, these were RMJ recones. So, out of the initial twelve PD.1850's owned, I count at least fifteen blown driver incidents between May 2010 and December 2011. The coils in the blown drivers were just that, blown!! They were burnt and had melted/exploded.

Not related to the thread info;

This year so far I have reconed thirty two PD.1850's, I have also reconed seven PD.1851's - hardly dropping like flies are they? Also, the seven PD.1851's belong to Kayak, blown on their second outing at Notting Hill in 2011; contrary to reports, no drivers were blown during the driver's carnival debut in 2010. So, to recap, I haven't reconed any other PD.1851's other than Kayak's. These drivers died because of, well various issues, but one of them, in my opinion, was the fact that there were both PD.1850's and PD.1851's mixed on the same amp channels, the PD.1850's died first and this started a chain reaction of events that claimed a total of fifteen drivers. Amps used on sub were PL380's, 2 off.

On a happier note, Kayak again played at Notting Hill this year, they fielded twelve PD.1851's and four PD.1852's, all drivers survived, no casulties and the float, by all accounts, sounded superb (I can't comment because I was driving the truck and all i could here was the lockers in my cab vibrating!), amps used this year on sub were PL380's, 3 off (yes, same amount of drivers and one extra amp!)

Regarding the whole PD.1851/PD.1850 thing, they are different drivers!! Why do people keep comparing them? And, someone also chucked into the mix, that 'PD may know there's problem so that's why there is a '52 on the way' type of statement - why? So if PD (or any other manufacturer) produce any new drivers it's because there is a problem with an existing model???

Rant/informative post over - back to my day job.

Pays to to hear both sides of a story before wading in.. apologs PP.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by levyte357.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #18975 by PauliePaul74
Replied by PauliePaul74 on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
Ok, so the post above off SP was written in haste, after checking paperwork etc these were the actual figures regarding the part exchanges;

10 drivers collected from Edinburgh.

2 - workers - belonged to me (were on free loan)
3 - dead (1 originals / 2 RMJ's)
1 - worker - RMJ recone
3 - workers - originals
1 - wounded - evntually required full rebuild.

2 Drivers left in Edinburgh - RMJ recones

2 further blown units sent to me from a third party on Electrikal's behalf.

Totals = 5 x dead / 1 x wounded / 4 working

Out of the total above I count 5 RMJ recones and 6 reconed by me - so the total of drivers reconed = 11, not 15 as previously stated.

Apologies if I have mislead or offended anyone, just wanted to straighten things out.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 7 months ago #18977 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
So basically, the '51s were not the first batch of residents to face the guillotine in these cabs.

1850 is proven & tested driver. When I hear about PP & RMJ recones going bang in multiples, finger of suspicion rotates away from driver quality, and more to "other" factors.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
11 years 7 months ago #18979 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
Don't really want to comment on PD drivers as I consider that would be unethical however having heard hogs just a handful of times and then only twice did I know what drivers were being used and neither time was it PD.

What did surprise me as I have commented in the other place is just how hot the driver got when driven with relatively modest amplifiers, I think that perhaps it is just too easy to be seduced by the effortless flowing bass and just get carried away.

I am a big fan of hogs but would want to have a firm hand on the LMS Limiters :)

Tony

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #19014 by GregorTem2
Replied by GregorTem2 on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
Hi
This is my Hog
I would like to speak about it
This is my prototype for testing

to be continued... :evil:
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by GregorTem2.

More
11 years 4 months ago #19216 by Jahsound78
Replied by Jahsound78 on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
Looks nice...how does it perform indoor and outdoor? What type of speaker is that and what model crest you using?

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #19218 by GregorTem2
Replied by GregorTem2 on topic Re: PD1851s in Hog Scoops
Hello! I use 2X PD 1851/8 ohms and 2x PD 186/8 Ohm in Horn 186
to drive these speakers have Crest Pro 8001 and 9001 for the top speakers Ca 12 (the photos are not up to date)
but I am looking for plans to RX 18 DC to compare it with the Hog scoop :)
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by GregorTem2.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds