Scoops and techno

• tintek
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 10 months ago #18111 by tintek
Scoops and techno was created by tintek
Not used in the same sentence much im sure but has anyone ever had good experiences with scoops playing techno? I know bandpass horns are the norm because they can easily reproduce the fast punchy frequencies that this sort of music is based on . . . but what about with more modern scoops for example the ligwa earthshakers, hogs, rhinos etc?

Im a complete newbie to scoops so forgive me if this a is a certain no go. just thought id ask the question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #18115 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Scoops and techno
yes, most of the house, hardcore and raves used to have scoops in the stacks....... I done a gig the other week, where i used 2 full scoops on there sides centre of stage, and 1 stack of 2 bass cabs a side with tops. The music on the night was tech house, electro house and some old skool...... sounded very good, the only downer was i could only run the scoops at half power as the building was shaking way too much..... I will be using a very simula setup in a few weeks time..... the scoops where run in mono...... but could of been run in stereo if i wanted just 2 stacks.......

More
11 years 10 months ago #18117 by Ollie_N
Replied by Ollie_N on topic Scoops and techno
Hiya, I have a different experience, basically we use a set up of 15" reflex kick bins and 3 mini scoops sounds great on Jungle etc. but we did a gig where they played techno and they just really didnt cut it from the listeners perspective, not much output from the rig at all, i think that if u want to play this kind of music you need to use a long throw kick bin like a hd15 etc. and have 1 for every scoop that you have.

Check out this video its a different gig to what i was talkign about but you can hear the difference between and oldskool track and a jungle track.
This happens even more so with techno...

Personally i think they sound ok for techno but for techno heads the don't cut it. People didnt say that the techno sounded bad but rather that the rig sounded wicked when playing jungle, hope that helps ollie

More
11 years 10 months ago #18119 by bee
yes 1 kick for every scoop, i used 2 per scoop, and run them down low, only using the scoops from 70hz and below...... for most dance based stuff the key region in the sound is from 50hz to 150hz.......

• tintek
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 10 months ago #18120 by tintek
Replied by tintek on topic Scoops and techno
interesting, seems a mixed responce. I guess ill just have to get out there and have a listen. question is where can i find a scoop system that plays fast dance music?

More
11 years 10 months ago #18121 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Scoops and techno
For a one cab techno solution use T18 or Cubo 40 hz up.
In fact I would do whole rig around these, then just add X1 or Scoops in centre for the extra sub if needed on say a Jungle night.

Funny subject this, back in the day I remember hearing house in raves on scoops, didn't like it, then went to a Sunday do at Elephant & Castle pub
The music was more garage, more bassline rhythm, Express 2 type. This was on 6 scoops IIRC and was brilliant.
So my take on it is that if the bass is being played as rhythm then scoops are cool, if the rhythm is drum bassed (electronic) then no.

• tintek
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 10 months ago #18122 by tintek
thanks for the responces. Ive recently sold my martin audio modular system which was awsome for techno but im looking for a different sound now but would still like to be able to reproduce that fast "kick" from time to time.

More
11 years 10 months ago #18125 by bee
for kick there are two options available, 1st being the 18" kick cabs, for me these drop low enough but are too slow..... the second is a 15" kick, you will need to run with minimum of 4 a side, to get the low notes, but have a very quick sound......

More
11 years 10 months ago #18163 by Ollie_N
Replied by Ollie_N on topic Scoops and techno
i would build mini scoops and use something like a hd15 ontop, that way the fast kick will still be in your chest and cross the scoops low say 40-90 and then kick bins 70-180 when u play the jungle swap to scoop 40 - 100 and kicks 100 - 180

• tintek
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 10 months ago #18164 by tintek
smiley20 thats exactly what i was thinking. hopefully going to have a listen to some new kicks and scoops soon!

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds