file Loudspeaker Configuration (Ohms)

7 years 3 months ago #23682 by acvegas
Loudspeaker Configuration (Ohms) was created by acvegas
Designing Speaker System (Advice Needed/Newbie)

If I have a 700 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (350 Watts Per Channel). I wish to wire a total of 8 speakers (4 Woofers each at 8 Ohms going to an inductor crossover & 4 Midrange Speakers each at 8 Ohms going through a 400 Volt Film Capacitor crossover) all together within one single speaker cabinet. How should I wire/configure this without overloading my power amplifier?

1. Woofer: Out of the four woofers (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of woofers in series going to the amplifier; which will give me 4 ohms?

and in addition to the above within one single speaker cabinet; can I also wire the following:

1. Midrange: Out of the four midranges (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of midranges in series going to the amplifier; also, which will give me 4 ohms? NOTE: Please keep in mind that ALL of the midrange speakers are going to 400 Volt Film Capacitor …..does this effect impedance/ohmages?

Now with everything as outlined above give me a total combined ohmage of 4 Ohms or 2 Ohms?

My second option would be to connect all of the four 8 ohm Woofers in series together and all of the four 8 ohm Midranges together going together into one amplifier terminal which will give me a total speaker ohmage of 16 ohms?

So what is my best solution for this speaker configuration without overloading my amplifier?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.