MKH-230

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #24291 by ricosound
Replied by ricosound on topic MKH-230
Hello builders and soundsystem lovers

posting here something about the MKH230 design although the plans on the website for this design doesn't look like the MKH230 by Marco.O available on his profile in Hornsplan website.

MKB230 and MKH230 have the same plans here on Freespeakerplans but they are not, looks like someone has pointed this out already anyway

.I've been thinking about building some bass kick speakers based on the MKH230 model.Originally a double 12" box I'm looking at modifying the design to be used with a single 12" driver.
Still using a set of two speakers.It will be easier and lighter to move around than the version with double driver.
 These are the main reasons why I'm looking at doing this and transportation with my current capabilities.

I'm currently using a custom built soundsystem playing Jamaican music from ska to roots on vinyl records.
The stack is made of 4 Cubo12" stacked on top of each other in set of two speakers per row. Over these I'm now using 2 Cubo Kick12" and 2 b&c design mid tops with 1 12" driver and 1" compression driver horn.

I've been quite happy with the overall sound so far, we play in small to medium spaces ( pub/bar type of room ) and most of times have to keep the sound to half of it's potential.
The MKH230 will replace the Cubo kicks, not because I'm not happy with them but mostly bcs I want to experiment more and build some different design..Anyone has done any mod like that to the MKH230 ?

I basically have moved the side wall of the double MKH230 to the center of the baffle panel ( where the bracing piece is on the original design ) then moved the bracing panel in the center between left and right sidewall. ( see below image for a quick visual reference on the sketch up model of the MKH230 )I'm thinking of adding an horizontal bracing as well in the middle of the vertical bracing just for the look of it ( thinking of giving a contoured profile to the bracing rather than the current plan where the panel is just straight) ....bad idea ?
Also...anyone using this kicks can spare some feedback ?

Looking at future expansion of this sound this choice may not be the wiser as I will have 4 kicks with 2 different design so not the best idea to use them all 4 together in a bigger set up but I guess that when I'll go that route I may look into using different bass speakers ( super scoops most likely ) and then design the kick section around those 

thanks !
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by ricosound.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #24301 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic MKH-230
If you want to have a single driver MKH-230, basically you have to take half the internal width of a double and add a side panel (don't count bracing here). As long as the bracing doesn't add a lot of volume or blocks anything, the exact shape and size is up to you. Keep in mind it's primary function though ;)

How's your French? Single MKH-230

More
5 years 7 months ago #24305 by ricosound
Hi Cubo ,

thanks for the reply as always...I missed it for a bit , I usually get a notification on my email but I may have missed that as well :-/

In the meantime I move forward with the project and I did as you them mentioned in your reply. I'm half way through the building on one MKH230....funny part is that you realized the size of these boxes once you start building them, which is why I really like all the cubos design, compact and strong.
I ended up using a 18mm plywood even if it's a single driver design, I think I could have gone with the 15mm and have a lighter box but when I redesigned it to cut the pieces on a CNC the 3 mm change was messing a bit with angles and mitred cut so instead of recalcualting everything I went the easier route and kept it 18mm...

now I have another point to consider, Have anyone used sound dampening material on the inner walls of this speaker ? I did used it on Cubo Kick 12" and I think it helped the overall sound I was wondering if I should do the same before I complete it....
if so, should the dampening material be applied on the inner walls around the driver and also in front of it ? Trying to avoid to put it in areas where it will be visible from the outside for cosmetic reasons.
Attached a quick sketch about where I'm thinking to apply it shown as red rectangles

thanks !!
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #24306 by Cubo15
As a rule of thumb, for mid bass and up: Always in the chamber but not in the horn (so not in front of the driver). I would keep it at that.

More
5 years 7 months ago #24307 by ricosound
hi cubo

thanks for the quick reply, I'll follow the advice then...

More
5 years 7 months ago #24311 by ricosound
Hello builders !

I was wondering if anyone have used an alternative driver for the MKH230 ...plans recommend the RCF MB12G301 which is the one I have ordered but I have just been informed by the seller that it has a 6 weeks delivery time. I was wondering if waiting on looking for an alternative ....maybe someone has tried and tested some other drivers that I can consider as optional.
Speaker plans seems to be designed around the RCF from a chassis point of view too so it may be hard to find another good fit , but maybe...

thanks !

More
5 years 6 months ago #24314 by Cubo15
T/S-parameter wise the RCF MB12G301 is a twin of the 18Sound 12ND830, which is neodymium but and therefore shouldn't have any problem fitting in the narrow space. For other drivers a Sketchup file might be a good idea.

More
5 years 6 months ago #24317 by ricosound
thanks Cubo for the reply , very appreciated....due to the long delivery of the RCF drivers I decided to park the project of the MKH230 and most likely built  some Cubo kick 15" ;-)
I've found the overall dimensions and shape of the MKH230 more difficult to handle and set up with my current system

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds