GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM

More
15 years 9 months ago #2957 by csg
Replied by csg on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
given the way they sounded when i use a couple in a small club over the weekend, that may well be the case ( well at least another 4 or so!)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #5701 by Bass Traffic
Replied by Bass Traffic on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
I'll have to post up some pics of the grilles I made from metal walkway the type they use on fire escapes and oil rigs and stuff. Pretty heavy but does the trick!
Yeah man I was pushed for time!

More
14 years 5 months ago #6679 by SamV
Replied by SamV on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
What difference do the pores make? The more the better acoustically but worse for protection? Also do you do all the bits like velcro to attach the foam to the grills etc?

More
14 years 4 months ago #6782 by markie
Replied by markie on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
The PPI rating is the number of pores per inch. 20ppi has only 20 pores to the inch but HiFi35 has 35 so the pores are obviously smaller. In theory larger pores makes it more open but in practice I doubt anyone can hear any difference. It's all meant to be acoustically transparent.

Personally I like the appearance of the HiFi35 better, but it comes in smaller sheets (2000 x 1000). The 20ppi is the same price but sheets are 2000 x 1200 so can work out more economical.

More
14 years 4 months ago #6783 by SamV
Replied by SamV on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
Ah cool thanks Markie. I'm a fan of the more closed looking the better, basically wanting my new cabs to be as smart as possible.

More
14 years 1 month ago #7876 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
Hi Markie

Forgive me for my ignorance, but said foam must surely be secured or it would flop around all over the place.

Do you attach it to a metal grille? If so, how is the grill best mounted?

Cheers, John

Ars est celare artem

More
14 years 1 month ago #7878 by markie
Hi John,
The grill is usually screwed thru to batten around the edge of the baffle. You can then use self adhesive velcro on the grill.... the foam adheres to the hooks on the velcro and can be taken off and re-attached at will.

It's not standard velcro though, it's moulded and has double hooks. Although "self adhesive" it doesn't stick particularly well to grill as it's so open and has so little contact area. So, I usually stick it onto the grill as normal then re-inforce with a hot glue gun from behind, thru the grill holes.

I supply the grills, and foam, and the appropriate velcro. I have a website for the grills www.speakergrills.co.uk

Cheers,

Mark

More
13 years 11 months ago #8598 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic GRILLS AND ACOUSTIC FOAM
Hi Markie
What is the maximum thickness of reticulated accoustic foam that you can get?
I,m thinking about Earl Geddes and his work on wavegude horns. - His HF wavegudes are filled with 30PPI foam to stop resonances.
Obvously this would idealy need a piece of foam 100mm or so deep - that could be cut to fill the horn. Apparently this really does make a big difference!
You seem to be the best source I've found so far, and quite close to me!
Cheers
Attachments:

More
13 years 11 months ago #8685 by markie
First appologies I seem to have missed this question. The max thickness I usually keep is 20mm. In fact I have a special deal on some full sheets at the moment. They are 2000mm x 1200mm and as stated 20mm thick. The grade is 20ppi (20 pores per inch) which is quite open. They usually cost £35.00 for a full sheet but at the moment I have a clearance deal at just £20.00. They are quite large so have to go by courier (£10.00) but you are more than welcome to pick it up.

As a matter of interest I believe Adam Hall sell this foam for in excess of £50.00 per sheet AND they put VAT on top.

Moderators: markie
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds