The new R2U system.

More
13 years 4 months ago #10548 by dOpeShack
Replied by dOpeShack on topic The new R2U system.
Is this rig meant for any particular style of music?
Looks great indeed!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #10551 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic The new R2U system.
I would say this is a PA system that will do anything you want. I don't know how to design a Reggae system or a rock and roll system. I like to think of these speakers as neutral, which to me is how all speakers should be. In the end, you can set up and eq/balance so suit your taste. It is true that you can push some type of speakers harder than others to get a desired effect. I guess it is this situation that puts labels on our speakers.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 8 months ago #14841 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic The new R2U system.
how did you delay the scoop against the mids? I mean did you delay from the scoop front load or from the rear load?

cheers, bitzo

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 8 months ago #14847 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic The new R2U system.
All my delay times are measured with the Iasys machine. This measures the sum total of what's in front of it. My scoops seem pretty good from a top section v bottom section when it comes to coherence, because when I mike up the sub, the machine only detects one sound source. This machine will tell you that you can't take a measurement when it detects multiple sound sources.
Without the advantages of measuring equipment some people think that when you are trying to time align the bass and subs, that it is the sub that should gets delayed. In reality it could be the bass, or even the mid, that becomes the Zero section with all other sections delayed from it. This is something you can't easily predict until you start to measure.
Time alignment for me has always been important because for years I have always overlapped the bass with the sub. When you do this, time alignment becomes the most single important thing to do.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #19911 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Re: The new R2U system.
It's been a long time since this system has been mentioned on here, and as I am about to make the final dash to the end of development I thought I would put out the latest spec. This spec is how I am using the system for my gigs.
It started out as a demo system and has ended up doing a lot of stuff, so what was required for just a demo has been altered to what's required to make an impact at small gigs, 3-400 people.
one of the first things I did was to add another Bass cab per side to the system. original system was 4 subs, 2 bass, 2 mid highs. I had this balanced with equal SPL from the various sections but the bass was staining at the leash. At the time it was 7k sub and 1.2k bass. The bass speakers are very efficient ( speaker 100.5db 1w1m and they're Horn loaded ), so they did keep up but I wasn't happy. Actually, before this addition I had already added a tweeter cab which contains 8 B and C DE35's per cab. These are mounted vertically in the box in two rows of 4 with a gap in the middle that de-couples the two columns.
The next bit of development was to buy another amp for the subs. I now run 4 subs from two amps giving 2.5k per ch into 8 ohms. After this followed, another addition, which was to replace the 4 channel amp which I was using for Bass and Mid and use 2 separate 3k amps for the same. This now gives me more power in the Bass but more importantly, it gives me some headroom which I didn't have before.
So that's about it really. The amps are now split into 2 identical racks which are left and right. They have the 5 channel BSS processor in each rack. My 4 channel amp has now become my new monitor amp with a graphic thrown in for good measure.
Total power delivered at the appropriate impedances is 16750 watts. total handling power of the speakers 11270 watts. Headroom city. It's unlikely that this will develop any further unless the processing changes. Andy at Matrix has been a big help here and has made it easy for me regarding the amps. It's good to be connected with someone of his calibre, and not forgetting Matt of course who is always helpful as ever. I will take some pictures at the next gig if I remember and post them to show what the stacks look like now.

More
10 years 11 months ago #19913 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re: The new R2U system.
wow nice stuff Tony, i defo got to reach one of the events your system is at......

Moderators: tony.a.s.s.
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds