Information about ASS HB10SB

• Rigsby
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #5510 by Rigsby
Information about ASS HB10SB was created by Rigsby
Hi Tony

I've just started using some of your gear having bought a system including two HB10SB bins with 18" B&C drivers (built Jan 07 I think). Problem is I don't know any of the specs. Is there anything you could let me have about the frequency response curve or the power of amp that you would suggest that I use to drive them best?

Also, I use the rig for local bands in small halls and marquees and am looking to upgrade the top boxes (currently reflex 15" 500w RCF driver and a 1" 100w selenium compression driver). I want to keep to two boxes per side and wonder what you would suggest would go well with the bass bins? I was thinking of your MX600?

Appreciate any thoughts from you or others. I'm based near Colchester so good to know the bins haven't travelled far since you created them.

Cheers

Rigsby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #5512 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Information about ASS HB10SB
Hi Rigsby, I'm not sure what that box would be as I never had a model number with that configuration. Give me some more info, A photo would do it.
Regarding MX600's, they are a serious cab, which can stand a lot of bass cabs underneath. In the end it is all down to balance and even response throughout the range, achieved mainly by sensible engineering.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Rigsby
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #5524 by Rigsby
Replied by Rigsby on topic Information about ASS HB10SB
Hi Tony

Appologies as I am new to the forum. I've taken some pics, but I'm not sure how to send them to you. What's the best way?

Also, if it helps at all the box dimensions are 66.5cm deep, 65.5cm wide and 121cm high.

Thanks

More
15 years 1 month ago #5525 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Information about ASS HB10SB
Hi rigsby, welcome to FreeSpeakerplans.You wll find info on how to post pictures HERE .

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• Rigsby
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #5526 by Rigsby
Thanks Give or Take

Tony - images below. Having looked the information about your boxes in the resources section, could these be SP10s from the Spektra range?

Thanks

Rigsby

More
15 years 1 month ago #5534 by tony.a.s.s.
They are indeed my friend. The original speakers used in them were 18PZB46's, and later, the HD version which used 18TBX100's and tuned accordingly.

• Rigsby
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #5538 by Rigsby
Thanks, Tony

The previous owner must have given me the wrong model number. Now that I have established what I actually own I would like to optimise their performance. As my boxes have 2 x 1000w RMS drivers, what size amp would you use - 3kw per side into 4R or should I go smaller?

A couple of other questions, where would you put the crossover point? At the moment the BSS 388 Omnidrive crosses over the the 15" RCF driver in the mid / top reflex cab at 100hz, but this seem low. Could the boxes take a higher crossover point and still sound clean / give a fairly even pre-eq frequency response? Any frequency curves that you might have or further information would be very welcome.

Finally, as previoulsy mentioned, I am thinking about buying some new mid / tops to go with these cabs. What ASS boxes would go best with the SP10s when I am using them for live bands in halls up to about 75 - 90' long and about 200 people.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's great to have the opportunity to consult the man who built the cabs in the first place in order to do them justice.

Cheers

Rigsby

More
15 years 1 month ago #5548 by tony.a.s.s.
Hi Rigs, It would appear that you have the 18TBX100's installed, which is good. The 3k amp is about right. You will be delivering less per side into 8 ohms, but you will have ample headroom, which is important for good bass.
It would appear that you are running three way. I would leave the x/o point at around 80 to 100hz. as you have an Omnidrive, you should consider overlapping the sub with the bass speaker in your top cab, and letting your top speaker go down to around 60hz. Ultimately, these bits should be time aligned, however, as they are both reflex cabs, they won't be that far out. Moving your top cab on top of the 2x18 to align the magnets would ensure good coherence.
Any Spektra top cab apart from SP1's work on the bass cabs. However, you should look for SP4's which will give you a 1x15 plus hf horn. For that size room, 2 per side would be better than one. If you were on the long wall facing across the room you would need these for dispersion if nothing else.
Any more questions, just ask. T.

• Rigsby
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 month ago #5551 by Rigsby
Hi Tony

Thanks for all your help. All makes complete sense and I will check that the x / o points are overlapping.

Cheers

Rigsby

More
12 years 3 days ago #17422 by wires
Replied by wires on topic Information about ASS HB10SB
I've just noticed this! is Ian still on this site or SP and does anyone have a contact for him? will pm him anyway but it was posted a few years back.
Thanks

Moderators: tony.a.s.s.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds