ASS System advice

• heathrow_b_line
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #2819 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic ASS System advice

twinypaul wrote: heathy dont cut up tonys boxs so you can lift them get down the gym mate

To be honest Paul i can handle the mx600's now... the driver is the 5kg beyma 850nd so it is liftable.

they look so nice as a one piece cab i will not cut them into two but it was nice to see someone had actually done it and it worked.

The only real pain in the ASS range is the BS1200... that box constantly wants to tip itself over when being moved/carried. I might attempt cutting this in half at some point.

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #2821 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic ASS System advice

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: <div>The only real pain in the ASS range is the BS1200... that box constantly wants to tip itself over when being moved/carried. I might attempt cutting this in half at some point.</div>

thats why tony made the bs500 [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

• heathrow_b_line
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #2824 by heathrow_b_line
bs500 is the way to do it, especially if your small time like me. bs1200 is too much of a pig... cant justify them as they dont sound any different to 2 singles

More
15 years 9 months ago #2827 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic ASS System advice
OK this is it. I will try to stay focused and get this thing done.
Regarding the weight issue of the MX600. ASS has always had the reputation for heavy cabs, but it was never my intention to make them like that. My only intention has been to try and make the best sounding cabs possible. The weight thing is the result of those efforts.
When I finally decided on the format of the MX600 (unnamed at the time) I had to start with some kind of main frame to work with. It was my original intention to end up with a mid horn that was moulded from poly foam. However, I couldn't start with that until all the experimentation had been done. After 3 months of trying different speakers and different shape phase plugs, I decided to use a version of the PD121. PD had already sent me down a dozen or more cones with inverted domes so that I could get the profile right.
So, the mid section was complete. I had decided to make the horn so it looked like it was moulded, so a lot of polyester filler was used to make it go from square to round.
As a result of this I ended up with a throat that had in access of 50mm of filler in some sections. I soon realized that this was a huge bonus, as there was little or no resonance in the throat. If you put your hand down the throat of a foam or fiberglass horn and then fire it up, you will notice there is a vibration. This not only saps the energy being transmitted, but also adds colour to the original signal, which in pure terms is undesirable.
The phase plug got the same kind of treatment being made out of solid ply.
After a while and after gaging peoples reaction to the new cab I decided to keep the manufacturing process the same. I was told we had a great cab, so there was no way I was going to change the way I made them. Making them like this, with so much hand work is a pain, but it's the end result that counts.
I still believe that if you want the ultimate product, compromise and short cuts are taboo.
Today neo's would make a difference to the weight.
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Below is the proto photo

[img

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• heathrow_b_line
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #2829 by heathrow_b_line
As the mx600 was my first proper box the weight did scare me slightly but when you compare the mx600 to other mid top cabs such as the nexo si2000 box at 80 kg it seems average.

in terms of moving and lifting the mx600s... as long as you have the man power it is possible to do it safely as there are lots of handles in usefull locations.

i think handle location is a key factor rather then overall weight. the 21" ass horn is a doddle for 2 people to lift and move and weighs in at 150kg. But the bs1200 is 'only' 115kg but is a killer to move although its lighter/smaller then the 21" cab

More
15 years 9 months ago #2832 by tony.a.s.s.
Have you got the regular handles on the BS1200. The reason I ask is that I have made them before with no handles purely for installs at the request of the client.

• heathrow_b_line
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #2845 by heathrow_b_line
no i have the one with loads and loads of handles but the box wants to tip itself over everychance it gets!

More
15 years 9 months ago #2848 by rockin..
Replied by rockin.. on topic ASS System advice
I also have the handle version and never have any issues with it wanting to tip. In facts it takes some effort to tip them

More
15 years 9 months ago #2856 by tony.a.s.s.
Thats what I was thinking.
Heathy, are you/ running on 2 wheels instead of 4

Moderators: tony.a.s.s.
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds