Did selling A.S.S make you rich?

• jamieb
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #21081 by jamieb
Did selling A.S.S make you rich? was created by jamieb
How much dough have you got?
On a serious note Tony.
Was having a British product held in high regard back in the day and did this reflect the pricing of your products. I was born in 1974 but remember electrical goods being very pricey when i was young

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #21082 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Did selling A.S.S make you rich?
Well of course, it depends on how much money you think makes anyone rich. At one time we were the biggest cabinet builder in Europe, although in terms of major Industrials, we were tiny. However, we were big enough to attract people form Scandinavia right down to Southern Spain. I always prided myself with dealing at what I called Street Level, always making myself available to anyone. There were rivals, who seemed content to try to leave the Sawdust to someone else and get into that cosy Office, but I never saw it that way, Today, I do what I started all those years ago, and that is making affordable Speaker Systems. In the past, people have compared the cost of ASS cabs to other people who might be making in small Workshops or their Garage, and of course there will always will be someone who is doing a similar thing cheaper. However, the cheaper cabs are usually lighter and don't have the same degree of finish, so that should tell you something. On the pricing front, we were and still are the cheapest if you compare with the likes of Turbosound, Funktion1 EAW or any of the other big boys.
The one advantage I always had over other larger companies is that I remained on my own, without partners. There was me at the top, my Secretary, and everyone else employed was on the shop floor in production. We were never top heavy. a very important thing in a small business. Today, three years after I should have retired, I still have a workshop, separate paint shop and Storage unit. I am doing it in the style that I did it all those years ago. I do my own Fibreglass, Crossovers, wind my own coils, etc, keeping as much in house as I can.
Getting back to part of your original question, regarding pricing. Our costs were determined purely by our overheads and an acceptable margin, and we made money on the back of sheer Volume. Mostly exports in those days.
When I started, it was exciting with new ground to cover and discover, and today it seems strange to be dealing with people who weren't even born when I was making boxes. One last important thing. I have mostly good memories looking back and I have provided my Family with a better standard of living than I would have done, had I remained a Toolmaker.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• jamieb
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 3 months ago #21086 by jamieb
Replied by jamieb on topic Did selling A.S.S make you rich?
Many thanks for the insight Tony,

More
10 years 1 month ago #21480 by overload
Replied by overload on topic Did selling A.S.S make you rich?
Well said tony your speaker cabnent are the best and made for life
love them life time guarantee

More
10 years 1 month ago #21481 by tony.a.s.s.
I assume the picture in you avatar is your system, is that it or is there more? It's nice to know what's still being used, where do you operate from?

More
10 years 1 month ago #21492 by tony.a.s.s.
Just realised who you are, but your secrets safe with me.

More
10 years 1 month ago #21498 by bee

More
10 years 1 month ago #21499 by tony.a.s.s.
Yes, he's somewhere in Southend. I've known him for years and hadn't seen him for a long time, but since being active with the system, our paths have crossed. We've been on some of the same Gigs.

Moderators: tony.a.s.s.
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds