Why I'm sad+angry about amps

More
15 years 6 months ago #4623 by jsg
I'll tell you why.

Where are the switch-mode PSU, 2U, 8-channel amps? In power ratings of between 50 and 250WPC? Alternatively, 1U 4-channel versions.

This is where the optimum breaks are in terms of weight and build cost for when you need a number of low-ish powered amp channels. With the availability of inexpensive xovers, surely there should be a demand for the amps to drive all those mid and high drivers? And there's always a requirement for spare channels, DJ monitors, foldback monitors etc.

What's the deal? Is someone doing this and keeping it a secret? Or charging silly money? I'm so sad and angry about this.

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4625 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Why I'm sad+angry about amps
Umm...
I guess it's as you say good for monitors, BGM, etc. I'm not sure about market sweet spot though.

Multichannel low powered amps...look at companies that also do 70V, network, or cinema. Example: Ashly.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 6 months ago #4627 by subsoniks
Replied by subsoniks on topic Why I'm sad+angry about amps
speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T...2v&PID=169886#169886
And now they have nearly doubled the price of the psu's and discontinued the amp boards

More
15 years 5 months ago #4808 by nineleaves
Replied by nineleaves on topic Why I'm sad+angry about amps
im sad and angry about amps too :)
im everso slightly fed up with many, many manufacturers selling trashy exaggerated spec, low performance, over priced boxes which seem better at banging silicon than beats.

i suspect, however.. that times are changing in some quarters ;) ...take the time to liisten to those amps :)

btw yeah, im with you on the low power amp thing, they are nessursary.

if it doesn\'t hurt & shake your eyeballs out of their sockets, its not bass...

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds