PKN evaluation results

More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #18544 by Speaker Sol
Replied by Speaker Sol on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
Edit: Sorry I didn't mean for this to sound as inflammatory as it does, have to pick the kids up from school now, I will look over it when I get back, no offence was intended.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Speaker Sol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thepersonunknown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
11 years 10 months ago #18564 by thepersonunknown
Replied by thepersonunknown on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
i dont tink its inflametory at all mate.

top thread. this side sure does require a little more patience, but pure gold reding material. thanks guys. sure is no pissing competition. it would be good to see some guys from the light weight team here though.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #19291 by Spartan Audio
Replied by Spartan Audio on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
Did Rog ever get his answers regarding cable lengths/cross section? I think that somewhere along that train of thought lies AN answer, if not THE answer we may all appreciate.

We now use double tied 2.5mm cores per leg as a bare minimum with our XE6000 and never ever more than 15m of cable.

When we first got an XE6000 (on demo) we took it out (PSU failed) by driving 2 x Arcline X per channel. We didn't have any idea it wouldn't like that loading because of the way it had been talked up. Back then we were using either good (canford) 2.5mm cable. The runs were also longer because of the way the cabling was run in the venue. Maybe 25m. Previously we were using the Yamaha TX5N's, Matrix XT5000G's, Matrix 10000G's or QSC EX4000's. The QSC's were the only amps that cut it. The Matrix amps may as well not have been turned on.

Anyway, it turns out that the PKN amp was seeing a 1ohm load at certain frequencies. The Amp apparently logs this sort of thing, shame no one thought to have the amp that was tested evaluated after the meet.

Best bit here however is that the amp survived the gig (live music) fine, it died around 15m after the gig had finished, when we were playing very low level BGM through the system. That made me chuckle.

Since then we've run them into 1 x Arc X (4ohm) per channel with a HPF of never higher than 38Hz, no problems, and no shortage of sub, ever. We did Scratch Perry with that very setup (6 Arc X, 6 Arc 6 - all from XE6000), heavy roots DJing for hours beforehand boosting the living crap out of the sub, no problems...

Considering that I'm currently contemplating buying a LOT of these amplifiers, I'd appreciate if you gentlemen could complete your 'discussion'. Even if it is just for my benefit ;).

It would be nice to hear from Dan/Peter here though I agree.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Spartan Audio. Reason: Mistake

• chaudio
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 4 months ago #19292 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
I think it all comes down to picking the tool for the job which you feel comfortable with and you get good results from. It sounds like you've been getting good results from the PKN's with your system and that's probably more important than anything anyone else will have to say about them.

Incidentally, when I was chatting to Dan back around the time I demo'd the amps, he mentioned that PKN were able to do an XD/XE5000 which would be a 2.6Ohm load optimised version same as the 2500.

More
11 years 4 months ago #19293 by Spartan Audio
Replied by Spartan Audio on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
Indeed I agree with you wholeheartedly, but am unfortunately as good at procrastinating as I am at mixing. I'd like to know for sure and have all of the 'big minds' agree on the reason for the failure to perform. After all, in my business you are only as good as your last job.

I'll investigate this XE5000 then, as there is always headroom left in the 6000 at 4ohm, perhaps it would make sense to have a split stock, for those occasions where 'everything is out'.

• chaudio
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 4 months ago #19294 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Re: PKN evaluation results
I suspect an agreement is something you could be waiting a long time for!

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds