4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #9708 by levyte357
4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers was created by levyte357
Yes 8 ohm are pretty much the standard and easier to buy/sell, but frequent 4 ohm bargains come up.

Thinking a QSC RMX 2450 on mids, would drive 2x 4 ohm 300W 12" Mids per channel quite easily without thermalling.

Also, people don't mind using 1x 4 ohm 21" driver per channel of strong amp, apart from cable length and over driving issues, any disagree with this regarding 18s ?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10185 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers
Bump

Wakey, wakey peeps..

Surely someone "else" likes the idea of 1x 4ohm 1850 per channel of
CA12, EV P2000, 8001, QSC 4050HD, JBL MPX1200, Proline 3000 ? :shock:

More
13 years 6 months ago #10187 by nrpinc
Replied by nrpinc on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers
Usually 4 ohm drivers have a lower sensitivity than 8 ohm. Thats why you don't see alot of 4 ohm drivers in pro audio. Nothing wrong with them but your are better off with 2 8 ohm drivers. More out put of sound with same draw of power.

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10190 by levyte357

nrpinc wrote: Usually 4 ohm drivers have a lower sensitivity than 8 ohm. Thats why you don't see alot of 4 ohm drivers in pro audio. Nothing wrong with them but your are better off with 2 8 ohm drivers. More out put of sound with same draw of power.

At the SP scoop shootout in Southall this year, a mini scoop loaded with 4 ohm Fane 18-1000, blew all the other 8 ohm loaded cabs out of the water, including decent 1850 loaded full scoops, when attached to same amp.

Right up until someone turned it up even more and it blew... smiley36

My main point is, certain drivers really need true 1kw to get them going, and not many amps truly deliver 1kw @ 8 ohms 30-80hz.

However plenty of amps rated approx 1200wpc @ 4 ohms can do this. Making it easier to drive 4x drivers, from 2x amps, each amp with 13A fuse.

More
13 years 6 months ago #10191 by saul
Replied by saul on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers
it has the same advantages as bridging 2x amps.

two amps with their own 13a supply - that's approx 3kw per amp. probs translating to 1250w ish per driver once efficiency is factored in. all off normal plugs.

and on top of that, you have 4 channels should you ever need them for normal operation. also means you needn't necessarily find amps that are ultra-stable at 4ohm bridge.

certainly a consideration - does mean finding 4ohm drivers though which could be interesting. or buying new smiley18

looks like this distro is getting sold too then!

More
13 years 6 months ago #10195 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers
I have used 4 ohm drivers in my new tapped horns. This is to make the most of the power out of a Matrix 4 x 1000w amp that I have started using. I use 2 channels on the tapped horns and two channels driving some new 12" +1" which have a passive X-Over.

Tony

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10196 by levyte357

Tony Wilkes wrote: I have used 4 ohm drivers in my new tapped horns. This is to make the most of the power out of a Matrix 4 x 1000w amp that I have started using. I use 2 channels on the tapped horns and two channels driving some new 12" +1" which have a passive X-Over.

Tony

Tasty...

@Tony, which gauge cable do you use on the subs guv?

More
13 years 6 months ago #10203 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers

levyte357 wrote:

Tony Wilkes wrote: I have used 4 ohm drivers in my new tapped horns. This is to make the most of the power out of a Matrix 4 x 1000w amp that I have started using. I use 2 channels on the tapped horns and two channels driving some new 12" +1" which have a passive X-Over.

Tony

Tasty...

@Tony, which gauge cable do you use on the subs guv?

I have a few 10M 2.5 cables which I normally use however I have a 20M 4mm cable for when the one stack has to be positioned farther away. The other side I just use 5m 2.5mm as I always get the amp rack close to one of the stacks. The cables to the mid tops are all 4 x 2.5.

Very pleased with the tapped horns by the way. They easily give more SPL than twin boxes using the same drivers and need less bottom end EQ so its a win win. Sound quality its pretty even with maybe the tapped horns being cleaner but the reflexes having more warmth ( distortion?).

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 6 months ago #10204 by levyte357

Tony Wilkes wrote: Very pleased with the tapped horns by the way. They easily give more SPL than twin boxes using the same drivers and need less bottom end EQ so its a win win. Sound quality its pretty even with maybe the tapped horns being cleaner but the reflexes having more warmth ( distortion?).

Excellent job...

"Distortion"... smiley36

More
13 years 6 months ago #10205 by saul
Replied by saul on topic 4 ohm 12" Mid/18" Sub drivers
so......errrrmmm......who's got some 4ohm PD1851/Fane1500/Fane1000 then?
smiley36

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds