Neo Vs Ferrite

• Tony Wilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #6153 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Neo Vs Ferrite

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: My observation regarding tonal balance come from changing from a ferrite 12 to a Neo in a monitor. Crossing over at around 1.6 into the horn. Two things became apparent. firstly, it seemed a little bass light, and then there was more info in the mid band. This is due to harmonics as much as anything else. The difference between the speakers when measured was very little, but there was certainly a difference to be heard. In this case, the neo was ideal, because it was better in the vocal, which was the main purpose of these particular cabs

Tony were they exactly the same driver apart from Magnet material i.e. exactly the same cone and voice-coil assembly etc. If they were the same it would be interesting to find out why the difference in sound balance.

Tony W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #6154 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Neo Vs Ferrite
Hi Tony, Regarding the two speakers. If you look at the specs for B and C 12PLB76, and the 12NDL76, you will find that they are very similar indeed and I know that one is supposed to the a version of the other. With the Neo, the BL and flux density are up leading to higher efficiency. It's the motor strength that is giving the mid a little lift over and above the ferrite version. That's the way I see it anyway.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Tony Wilkes
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #6155 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Neo Vs Ferrite
It is very unusual for both types to have exactly the same spec's which is why I posted the above photo. I have not really pushed the Neo version yet but I have found the cooling to be very effective on other models that use the same chassis.

This is the box I have built to test the Neo version. The port actually needs the relative closeness of the magnet assembly (40mm) to extend the effective length of the port.

Tony

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds