Getting lost in too much info. Small micro box

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #24156 by puzo
Hi all

Been trying to gather knowledge and see what I can learn but I’m getting lost down the the rabbit hole, the more I read the less I know, as is always the case.

I have a specfic idea that I’m trying to work out but just going round and round in circles.

I make diy modular synthesisers and think it would be cool to have a speaker setup incorporated into the case. I have two two size cases I make one 260mm x 177mm and the other 520mm x 260mm. Synths are usually mono but as they increase in size they do go stereo. The depth of the box is also a consideration and would only be 60mm max.

I’ve proberbly started off in the wrong direction with specifying the case volume first but this the limiting factor in the design. My idea is to have a speaker case that can be used on its own in mono for the smaller cases and double up with two to make a stereo speaker set. Sound quality is more important than getting really loud. I also understand the limitations on low bass frequencies.

But the more I read the more I’m confused and would really appreciate some help. 2”, 3” or 4” drivers, mid and tweeter or full range. I just don’t know. So I guess the sealed volume would be around the 1.6 lt mark, 16cm x 20cm x 5cm Does it matter that much that the case would be shallow and flat?

Many thanks
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by puzo. Reason: More info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #24160 by Cubo15
Sounds like you could use a 3" full range driver for that. 50 mm depth is kinda little though, so you'll have to look for one that fits those measurements.

Fountek has some shallow 3" fullrange drivers. Best is to simulate the exact volume that they would need (usually around 0.5 - 1.1 litre per driver.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds