driver crossover needed?

• experimentalist
  • Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #20533 by experimentalist
driver crossover needed? was created by experimentalist
I am running a multi-amp home surround sound system with a number of speakers. Almost all of the speakers are bookshelf with a two-way design ( woofer/mid &tweeter). However, the mid frequencies seem to be lacking.
I am trying to run a mid-range driver with it's own amp for the L&R channel. Do I need a crossover for it? I have directions for a tweeter driver that gives a warning not to run the tweeter without a crossover. That is all the directions say- no explanations . Do I need a crossover to protect the mid-driver from large bass & treble excursions in the music?
The mid-driver I would be using has an impedance of 8 ohms and a resistance of 5.4 ohms by itself. The tweeter driver I made reference to above also has an impedance of 8 ohms, and a resistance of 6.0 ohms by itself.
I would appreciate any feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #20534 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic driver crossover needed?
It is generally the frequencies below the tuning of the box and particularly below the FS that will damage drivers. The higher frequencies coming out of the mid won't sound really good, but they should not damage the driver. Try to find the model numbers online and see if there is a suggested crossover point. Having a bunch of different speakers with tweeters arrayed around the room is not really a recipe for great sound though. If running normal stereo, it is best to have the treble and mid coming from two decent quality units rather than a bunch of them all over the place. If you are running surround sound then stick to the suggested config for 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by bgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: experimentalist

More
9 years 4 months ago #22346 by Andy Kos
Replied by Andy Kos on topic driver crossover needed?
Its best to use a crossover.

1. Better sound - driver working outside their preferred operating range dont sound great

2. If you just use a high pass filter on your tweeter you will have a load on your amp of 8 ohms below filter frequency, but above that, the mid and tweeter will be in parallel, giving a 4 ohm load - not the best idea.

3. tweeters operating below their operating range will die, if you put 300hz into a tweeter designed for 2khz upwards you will have too much excursion on the diaphragm, it will sound bad, and probably fail very quickly

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds