blown driver or not?

• groundvibes
  • Topic Author
More
11 years 1 month ago #19637 by groundvibes
blown driver or not? was created by groundvibes
did a party on the weekend and our subs stopped working half way through. i know i was putting a fair bit to much power through them and we smelt what someone said was the glue burning up of the voice coil but im unsure to weather there blown or if its something else because i know its nothing wrong in the signal chain but there is absolutely no sound and no cone movement what so ever.

any help would be appreciated, they could just be fully blown though. cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #19639 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic Re: blown driver or not?
Sounds like they are blown. That is exactly how it went with my last blown subs. Need to recone.

Just to be on the safe side, check the amp with some other speakers to be sure that is not what went out. If the amp still works and the wires are not somehow disconnected, it is probably the cones.

More
11 years 1 month ago #19640 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Re: blown driver or not?
if you push down on the driver cone does the cone move.... up and down.... if no movment then the voice coils are fryed, if they move put there is a rubbing noise, again not good and they will need a recone....

More
11 years 1 month ago #19644 by Boris-The-Blade
Replied by Boris-The-Blade on topic Re: blown driver or not?

bgrade wrote: Sounds like they are blown. That is exactly how it went with my last blown subs. Need to recone.

Just to be on the safe side, check the amp with some other speakers to be sure that is not what went out. If the amp still works and the wires are not somehow disconnected, it is probably the cones.

Just make sure you check the amp for DC if the driver is solid before connecting any more drivers to it.

Have a look at this guy for re-cones. He does all of ours and is a true perfectionist. www.recones.co.uk

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds