file fane xB be is now 1000w????

12 years 7 months ago #14842 by joeysub
fane xB be is now 1000w???? was created by joeysub
Just seen on bluearan that the xB has been retested and uprated to 1000w even tho its the exact same driver! Can they really take 1000w of punishment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #14844 by saul
Replied by saul on topic fane xB be is now 1000w????
smiley36

12 years 7 months ago #14845 by PauliePaul74
Replied by PauliePaul74 on topic fane xB be is now 1000w????
The drivers bench test at 1000W without failing. Google the AES standard they are tested to. And... no, they are not exactly the same driver.

12 years 7 months ago #14846 by joeysub
Replied by joeysub on topic fane xB be is now 1000w????
I see , so what could they handle in the real world if 1000w aes is rated? Would it be about 800w ish?

Would aes be a better rating to go by then?

12 years 7 months ago #14849 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic fane xB be is now 1000w????

saul wrote: :lol:

+1

Think I'll put an "M5" badge on my car, so top speed will be automatically uprated to 175MPH.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

12 years 7 months ago #14850 by Xoc1
Replied by Xoc1 on topic fane xB be is now 1000w????
How much power you can use is probably limited by the excursion of the driver and the tuning of the enclosure.
The actual limit is a combinaton of Xmech, the tuning of the enclosure (probably a refex cab with the XB), thermal compression and the high pass filter used.
The old 600W XB was OK at 800W and I ran a pair at 1200W each with a bit of care for years!
As technology has developed speaker coils have been able to take higher temeratures without failure, Look at the way Eminence drivers have increased their rated power handling.
This does not improve the mechanical limits of the speaker.....
If you really want to kill a XB either run it with a powerful amp without a high pass filter, or use a small amp and run it into hard clipping. smiley15

12 years 7 months ago #14861 by levyte357

Xoc1 wrote: The old 600W XB was OK at 800W and I ran a pair at 1200W each with a bit of care for years!
As technology has developed speaker coils have been able to take higher temeratures without failure, Look at the way Eminence drivers have increased their rated power handling.
If you really want to kill a XB either run it with a powerful amp without a high pass filter, or use a small amp and run it into hard clipping. smiley15

The Old XB was such a lovely sounding driver..

If the new 1kw XB can outperform a PD186, at least that's a worthwhile upgrade.

Quick glance at the *new* TS will tell me all I need to know. :lol:

EDIT: Just had a look at new specs... Magnet weight the same, Qes is up ( smiley11 ), BL up slightly..
Dont see how this Fane 18XB 1K would outperform an 800W PD186... smiley29

12 years 7 months ago #14892 by PauliePaul74

levyte357 wrote:

Xoc1 wrote: The old 600W XB was OK at 800W and I ran a pair at 1200W each with a bit of care for years!

The Old XB was such a lovely sounding driver..

If the new 1kw XB can outperform a PD186, at least that's a worthwhile upgrade.

Quick glance at the *new* TS will tell me all I need to know. :lol:

EDIT: Just had a look at new specs... Magnet weight the same, Qes is up ( smiley11 ), BL up slightly..
Dont see how this Fane 18XB 1K would outperform an 800W PD186... smiley29

I probably wouldn't... in certain enclosures anyway. It probably wouldn't even outplay a 600W rated Mk1 PD.1850 either in certain conditions, but in other conditions it would. Remember, XB's are reflex drivers... but they do work in a variety of cabinets... think Field Frequency (Spanners) from Oxford.....

By-the-way, I have a prototype driver here that aurally outperforms a PD.1850 in an S118, but doesn't on paper.... so much for TS specs... smiley36

Be happy..... smiley20

12 years 7 months ago #14893 by levyte357

PauliePaul wrote:
By-the-way, I have a prototype driver here that aurally outperforms a PD.1850 in an S118, but doesn't on paper.... so much for TS specs... smiley36

Be happy..... smiley20

Don't forget, listening to 1x box in small unit in isolation, doesn't tell you what 4x scoops in large 500 people hall will sound like.. JTS always say's this. :lol:
Sure you also know, for a driver to outperform 1850, it also has to throw as well as sound deep.

If you have experience of listening to different drivers in different cabs, and know what certain T/S parms mean, the differences in performance are pointed out by the T/S. smiley2

in Original Shortman scoop Test in 2007, I told Tek dont bother putting V18-1200 in RX18 as specs don't match, he did it anyway, and it sounded crap..

I told him V18-1000 will be perfect in RX18, and V18-1200 will be great in Shortman full scoop/Mini scoop..

Guess what, V18-1000 was sweet in RX18, and played louder than PD1850, and V18-1200 sounded like it was designed for Shortman full/Mini scoop.

Told him all this, before the driver was put in any cab... All down to T/S... :lol:

Manufacturers release T/S parms, so people can design cabs for drivers, so T/S obviously illustrate driver behaviour.

Sure you know Many Turbosound custom drivers, are standard drivers with slight custom differences in T/S parms.

12 years 7 months ago #14894 by PauliePaul74

levyte357 wrote:

PauliePaul wrote:

Be happy..... smiley20

Don't forget, listening to 1x box in small unit in isolation, doesn't tell you what 4x scoops in large 500 people hall will sound like.. JTS always say's this. :lol:
Sure you also know, for a driver to outperform 1850, it also has to throw as well as sound deep.

If you have experience of listening to different drivers in different cabs, and know what certain T/S parms mean, the differences in performance are pointed out by the T/S. smiley2

in Original Shortman scoop Test in 2007, I told Tek dont bother putting V18-1200 in RX18 as specs don't match, he did it anyway, and it sounded crap..

I told him V18-1000 will be perfect in RX18, and V18-1200 will be great in Shortman full scoop/Mini scoop..

Guess what, V18-1000 was sweet in RX18, and played louder than PD1850, and V18-1200 sounded like it was designed for Shortman full/Mini scoop.

Told him all this, before the driver was put in any cab... All down to T/S... :lol:

Manufacturers release T/S parms, so people can design cabs for drivers, so T/S obviously illustrate driver behaviour.

Sure you know Many Turbosound custom drivers, are standard drivers with slight custom differences in T/S parms.

I didn't do the testing, I left it with a trusted bunch of S118 'soundmen' who played it as they saw fit, one on one with an '1850, 'outplay' was their word, not mine. I listened to it for ten minutes when I went to pick it up. I'm now waiting on a further three prototypes to arrive to commence 'proper' testing.... probably undercover in a dance environment.