file Anyone know anything about these drivers?..

12 years 9 months ago #13828 by END-PROC
I recently bought a pair of vintage 15" W-bins off ebay. The make is unknown, however, the guy who sold me them believed they were loaded with vintage 15" celestion greenbacks.

Ive recently noticed a faint crackling noise coming from one of the speakers so i took the driver out to test on its own and i think it may need a recone.. im not sure though. The other driver sounds crystal clear..

anyways, im thinking of selling them and buying a pair of fane colosus drivers. but first I want confirmation of what these are excactly becuase i googled celestion greenback 15" drivers and couldnt find anything smiley29

each are 16 ohm drivers and can take (supposedly) up to 500 watts RMS (ive been using them with a peavey CS1000)

cheers
Sam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 9 months ago #13830 by bee
they look like the early mkenzie speakers to me....... i could be wrong.........

12 years 9 months ago #13834 by END-PROC
Replied by END-PROC on topic Anyone know anything about these drivers?..
hmmm i dont think so.. smiley24

12 years 9 months ago #13835 by bee
the chassis is the the same as some 15" mkenzies i have the magnet is the same see pics below........

the cabs these are from are below allso w bins......

im sure the cabs are a fane design w-bin.....
the drivers are the same as yours, and are definately mkenzies....... these where purchased by my father back in the 70's with 2x12 tops above 2 wbins each side, with 4 piezos a side. all the drivers on his system where mkenzies. I dont have any more info on them sadly........ as far as i know fane or eminance purchased mkenzie speakers.

12 years 9 months ago #13836 by bee
ive put well over 500watts into each driver.......... not bad sounding............ dont know the thiele small parameters for these but would like to know........... what are your cabs made of, do they look like the ones in my pictures...... as far as im aware they where made by a small shop in ealing around the mid 70's. I have asked my dad about them but he cant remember the model numbers, but is also sure the are mkenzies.

12 years 9 months ago #13841 by END-PROC
ok! so theyre McKenzies smiley4

I dont know what make the cabs are :\
they did come with crompression tweaters and a dial on the back to control whether you want to use them as stand alone bass bins or full range cabs. The centre had vinyl on it but it was pealing at the edges and it looked dirty so i to it off, sanded it down and painted it.

I also removed the tweaters becuase i plan on using them for mid-bass/kickers and thats also why im thinking of selling these drivers and replacing them with fane colosus drivers.

I dont know, what do you think? although theyre powerful, theyre 16ohm drivers so they dont seem that bass responsive.
are there recone kits available? and if so, is it worth it..?

cheers!
Sam.

12 years 9 months ago #13842 by bee
i don't reconise the design of this cab..... but in the seventies most cabs, where built at the shops that sold then. with there own logo on. The drivers are very good for there age. i was thinking of taking them to wembly loud speakers for them to test and get the thiele small parameters for them. i would like to use them for something......... you could allways reverse engineer the cabs, and sim them using akabak. This would help in choosing the right drivers for them. Is there any markings on the cabs to help id them, the plans are prob on the net somewhere........ Im not sure what drivers are best in the fane design cab but this would be a good starting point.

12 years 9 months ago #13843 by bee
this is the plan for the fane w-bin, your bin may be modified from this plan..........

12 years 9 months ago #13861 by END-PROC
Hmm interesting. Any idea as to how much I would get for these drivers?

cheers
Sam.

12 years 9 months ago #13863 by bee
no sorry, your best bet would be a vintage speaker site......