Today in Southend.

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #8778 by tony.a.s.s.
Today in Southend. was created by tony.a.s.s.
At Lunchtime today I made a rare visit to the Town. I was confronted by some music, and to my surprise it was quite an affair. Barclays Bank were wasting my money on self promotion. Anyway the gig was interesting. It was a Beach Boys thing. The guys on stage were as old as the Beach Boys. The harmonies considering the age span were really good. These guys are probably very busy doing this for a living. Anyway, cursed as I am with my inquisitive ears, I noticed that the speakers which were logic systems were completely wrong. The AV firm had lots of front end, and you could tell had been around for a while. The speakers per side were two, probably 12 plus horn cabs and a band pass sub on the floor. The top cabs were about fifteen feet in the air with the subs underneath. Firstly, this system should have had a 2x15 bass cab instead of the sub and the distance between them should have been less. The sound was completely separated and the bass had no natural impact, just a low rumble. There's more I could say, but I must ask, why do people do this. People do confuse bass with sub and when they do, it always puts sub in the wrong place. People with reasonable size rigs should pay attention to a little theory, and better results will occur.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #8783 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Today in Southend.
well how about this..................$500.00 worth of EAW. Avalon cabs flown way to high, SUBS smiley2 on the ground, when you stand far back, because that's where you have to stand :lol: there is a huge gap in the sound, it really gets my goat when peeps do this

on top of that, all the EAW is run off Peavey amps...DOHHHH!!!!!

went out last night to a new trendy club, lots of...and i mean lots!! Mackie, it's the worst sound I have ever heard in a club

I actually thought I'd walked into a Mackie showroom, the installers should go to jail for it. All Mackie cabs on poles all around the dance floor..........DOHHHH!!!! smiley11 smiley7

More
13 years 10 months ago #8784 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic Today in Southend.
...........more glowing blue neon lights than punters :lol:

More
13 years 10 months ago #8802 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Today in Southend.
Tony, I am not surprised with your comments at all. With the mid-tops stuck in the air and I presume the subs on the ground I dare say no effort had been made to EQ the upper bass and low mids to compensate. Not going to comment on BP boxes as the last time got me into trouble smiley1

TW

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #8809 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Today in Southend.
I think what worries me most ( although it shouldn't) is the fact that on many gigs i've been to there have been sound issues, I usually try to place myself in front of the desk for supposedly the best sound. When I look round at the engineers I'm expecting them to be flapping a bit and obviously trying to twiddle a few knobs to sort it out. But alas, no, these so called engineers don't seem to have a care in the world and are probably oblivious to it all, and I'm talking about gigs from street level to the Royal Albert Hall.
It all comes down to people operating sound equipment that don't understand the basics regarding how to optimize the system.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds