Compression drivers and horns.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1831 by
Replied by on topic Compression drivers and horns.
AJW, what horns have you tested the BMS drivers on and what would you recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1866 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic Compression drivers and horns.

JS wrote: AJW, what horns have you tested the BMS drivers on and what would you recommend?

I have been using the BMS horns. They are OK but I will certainly be trying some different makes in future.

For the Co-Axial unit 4590 I find that the large 2236 works pretty well, 480hz cut-off .
I have also heard this comp with the 2230 horn cut off at 800hz and this combo works well.

For the 1" range H4538, H4544 etc I use the 2119 which is OK.

For the little 4524 comp I have used the 2193 horn and that combination works very well.

The only other combination I have tried is the 1"Neo H4552 with the 2119 horn and I was very disappointed with these and I will definitely have to source a different flare for this driver.

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 10 months ago #2128 by dj maca roots
Replied by dj maca roots on topic Compression drivers and horns.
This is boring but I just use old JBL 1" and 2" used stuff. There is a ton of this stuff around the US. Used deals on C.L. are very common. I just got some ugly old crap carvin Tweeter boxes covered with old peeling tolex and mold on them. the deal was I had to take every thing the guy had in his shed.
Basically a crap load of old misc. Peavey and Carvin junk. But some nice jems in the lot.
Most of you have come acrost the deals before [img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]

Eternal Party At The End Of Time

More
15 years 8 months ago #3205 by andywave
Replied by andywave on topic Compression drivers and horns.
Hi all

'been using only BMS compression drivers for 4yrs. Some of you like , others not.

BMS 4550-16+pAudio PH4220 (a copy of Beyma TD250) usable with 812Hz /24LR HP for low levels (Home & Studio use).
In much bigger 350Hz horn in PA use with 115dB/4V peak sens. Very good bang for the buck.

BMS 4554-8 in that same big horn, throat enlargened, needed higher xo at 1230Hz. Otherwise it sounded too harsh. May be good for 1600Hz and higher. Companion for BR 12"?

Nowdays I'm using two-way BMS 4594-16 ND with passive xo/EQ, again with this big horn. It was nice surprise. Good no-horn sound, high sensitivity, also in the bullet zone. I'm satisfied for the performance. Passive xo took evenings of whole week to get right thou. Active HP 535Hz/24LR or higher sounded about right. 24Butterworth for some reason sounded bad. (time domain? impulse behavior?)

This is also nice 'cos now with lower xo point, my midbass horn could be made bigger, for good kick[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] and no worries about beaming at the upper end of midbass.

I did tests also with 4590-16 but it didn't fit my needs that good. Also heavy (9kg) Could be good for 60x40 or more narrow dispersion horn type. But that's my opinion. I think Tannoy uses 4592ND (2") OEM version in VQ60 & VQ100.

Big 350Hz horn I made, measures W=630mm, H=330mm, D=270. With short adapters it's suitable for 1" to 2" drivers. Theres no diffraction pinch and sides are straight with rounded (r=25,4mm) inner corners. Dispersion 80x40. Mouth is radiused heavily, r=50....100mm. So no honk or that amalgam rippin crap sound[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]. Bit big, but hey, 500Hz and upwards point source, CD and low distortion. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Have fun, Andy

for reason or another, massive amount of empty lines, now deleted.
Edited by: Andywave

More
15 years 8 months ago #3206 by hillview
Replied by hillview on topic Compression drivers and horns.
how do any of ye rate B&C DE85TN & DE750TN 2" comp drivers? & as far as coaxial drivers go how are these B&C 12CX32 www.cadaudio.dk/12cx32.htm anyone used them?

i presume there high quality being B&C but i`m curious if it would be money well spent on these or would there be better options

maybe i`m missing something obvious in the specs - but is it the DE85TN or 75OTN in these coaxials? thanks in advance for any opinions or info

• tony.a.s.s.
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #3207 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Compression drivers and horns.
I believe it's the DE85 that's used in these coaxial models. X/O's can make all the difference regarding performance with these units, but there are many users world wide, making these a firm favorite with some major PA companies.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 8 months ago #3208 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Compression drivers and horns.
It's the B&C co-axials in the D&B Max12 and Max15 wedges..... I think they dope the cones a bit but otherwise identical.

I'm looking at the 18Sound Co-axials at the moment. On paper they are even better than the B&C's. Will order some if and when I get some money!

More
15 years 5 months ago #4887 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Compression drivers and horns.
Xover is a problem for me with coaxials...has anyone managed to get rid of funny polars at xover point (slap bang in that frequency range..oh dear...) by use of clever slopes (this might just be one of those problems I'm going to have to stare in the face with a design I'm working on...). On the other hand, are there any single units which can go sensibly under 1khz and go reasonably high (12K and higher) without suffering from a breakup?

On another note, has anyone used any of Renkus's HF horns? They look nice, and I've been told you can lay your mitts on them as 'replacement parts' through a R-H distributor.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 5 months ago #4889 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Compression drivers and horns.
L-Acoustics have solved it by having a very large conical flare mounted in the centre of the 15" driver! Hides most of the cone!

More
15 years 5 months ago #4893 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Compression drivers and horns.
Was thinking about the small compression driver coaxials, but large coaxials are interesting as well. There seem to be two different approaches to it - there's the Tannoy Dual Concentric style route which shapes the plane wave tube and the cone to produce a axisymmetrical horn. Then there's the other route of making a cone as flat as possible, and controlling the comp by other means...like a horn on the BMS ones.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds