need advice with dual 10\" line array box

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago #4657 by b52productions
need advice with dual 10\" line array box was created by b52productions
hello, yes i am a newbie. i have built a few tuba 36's and they go low. but now i need some good midrange and hi's. my idea is to build some dual 10" 2 -ways and line array them so i can get a better low end to get the punch the tuba's are missing.

hopefully about 4 boxs per side suffice. the only problem i see is the crapy x-over point wich im trying to get around 2khz. but i plan on using active x-over so i can adjust for diffrent drivers.

i have included my first hornresp images since this is the first time ive used it so please check it over.. and i cant find a way to model the 2-drivers instead of one since each has its own horn.

any help will be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
dudley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4660 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
Check this:
freespeakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=451
freespeakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=457

You need to read up on basic LA theory first, as well. Meyer have a nice article, and there are others.

But first - you have to ask why LA?

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago #4662 by b52productions
Replied by b52productions on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
if im going to build my own tops i want something that i can use in the future.
i figure i could stack 4 per side maybe with a diy phase plug verticly orientated . this should eleminate a seperate mid/ kick boxs... i just want 1 box design to cover 150hz->up and be easy to transport. so keeping my option in the future open i figured LA would be my best answer.. all i would have to do is build more of the same boxes.

mostly i do up to 500 ppl. inside-but i want a system that i can arrange to do outside gigs also.

i think my speaker specs are off in hornnresp. having problems finding drivers cms values... any help suggesting drivers would be a great help.

thanks.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4663 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
you can calculate cms using hornresp, double click on the cms field and the software ask other t/s.

More
15 years 6 months ago #4669 by steve_b
Replied by steve_b on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
Dudley,
If you have not done so go to the Harmony Central Forum and look for the line array thread. There is some wacky stuff on the first few pages but if you have got a few hours to kill there is a lot of useful information. As well as myself, Centauri (no stranger to speakerplans) contributed as did Don Boomer, who I believe was part of the team that developed the Peavey Versarray, and many others

The design that you have come up with will not work very well as a line array and modelling the cabinet in hornresp is the least of your problems. As a comparison, Gary Ford (a participant on the HCLA thread) built some 2 by 10” with a horn between them. The cabinet suffered from comb filtering effects due to the interference caused by the multiple drive units. Based on the advice given on the forum (OK I admit it was me) he altered it to a 3 way design. Both 10” drive units operated up to 300Hz. Just one continued operating up to 1200Hz where it crossed in to the horn. This eliminated the interference problems and improved the performance considerably.

For a more condensed version of what was discussed in the thread have a look at my web site where there is a not too technical article on line arrays.

www.burton-manor.co.uk

I think there are links to the article from the various link lists on this site.

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago #4680 by b52productions
thanks for the help. i am a true diy so i plan to test it out.. the build is basically the same as the mt122 minus 1 inch in horn length and adding 8 inces overall width.

but built in a horizontal version instead. my speaker output should be the same for 2 stacked versions of mine to 2 side by side versions of the mt122. except i plan to use wave guides on the 10" and im using dual 1" for highs on each box.

ill plan on using eminece delta 10a for better responce at cost of power to the delta pro 10

any thoughts. ?

thanks a bunch !!!

More
15 years 6 months ago #4687 by steve_b
Replied by steve_b on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
Dudley,
That you are a true DIYer is commendable, but do yourself a favour and do some research before starting to cut up plywood.

If you are determined to go with the horn loaded 10” then just use one 10” per cabinet. That is half of what you are using now. It will perform better and with the same number of drive units the array will be twice as long. If you have to use two 10” drive units per cabinet, look how others such as the EAW 750/760 have done it. Try and understand why they have chosen the designs they are using rather than the one you have come up with.

If there is anything you don't understand just ask. There are many opinions about loudspeaker design, but you should have a clear idea of why you are following a particular design path.

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago #4702 by b52productions
ok will do.
it does make since
but now im not sure about my 1" high's
i think 2 per box is overkill with only 1 10"
I need to look a a new 1" horn lenses now ugh.

i appreciate the help.

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 6 months ago #4721 by b52productions
i have done as suggested and only used 1 10" driver per cab. still undecided to use 1 or 2 1" horns, i have left that opotion open for now until advised. my drivers for hi- selenium D21oti "107db 80wrms above rec 2khz.

any advise would be great.

Edited by: b52productions

More
15 years 6 months ago #4737 by studio45
Replied by studio45 on topic need advice with dual 10\" line array box
i say. interesting design! the comp horn goes in the column at the front? are you going to put any flying hardware inside? threaded rods all the way thru? you could fit a 2" and a bullet on that baffle i reckon for more headroom with still same hf extension. if the 2 will fit in the column that is.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds