file 1x12 d-r horn

15 years 9 months ago #1401 by simonr
1x12 d-r horn was created by simonr
knocked up a single 12" horn while I had a few moments the other week. Thought it might be a bit honky given the size and throat restriction, but looked good on 'paper'. Nice clear punchy sound though, and compact as well, 131 db in half space, and fairly flat from 200hz to 1.1khz (+/- 1db). I really must sort out uploading some plans, so I won't post any more until I can get something out there. Can send DXF plans by email if interested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 9 months ago #1402 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x12 d-r horn
I'm interested in your designs. What username did you go by on the original SP, by the way?
You might want to stick this on the Plan Donations thread as well.

Thanks

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 9 months ago #1429 by guest
Replied by guest on topic 1x12 d-r horn
Sounds wicked Simon.. PLans PLans PLans!!!

15 years 9 months ago #1506 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic 1x12 d-r horn
Here are some pics of the cabinet:

Mouth of horn

Closer view

Rear access panel

Driver snugly tucked up in bed. wadding is loosely fitted, one layer of 25mm all round

Inside the rear chamber

Closer view of throat, note recess for diaphragm clearance

15 years 9 months ago #1513 by guest
Replied by guest on topic 1x12 d-r horn
Looks nice, what program did you sim it up on? Is quite a small throat isint it. What driver are you using?

15 years 9 months ago #1770 by simonr
Back again!, having trouble keeping up with this lot!.

Ok this ones on the cheap side. Celestion TF1225E 300w

Hornresp parameters:

S1: 175 S2: 1600 Hyp 50 half space 300w (48.99v) into 8
T 0.4
VRC: 25
Lrc: 15
Fr 25
Tal5
Vtc 1000
Atc 530

15 years 9 months ago #2049 by tekasis
Replied by tekasis on topic 1x12 d-r horn
Looks good mate! If you don't mind me asking, what's the outer measurements of the cab (H xW x D)?

Also do you know the difference between the TF1225 & the TF1225e drivers other than the 1225 being 250w & the 1225e 300w ?

I been looking also at the TN Neo series but can't seem to get info on which is best for horn-loading or reflex! Cheers.
Edited by: tekasis

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.

15 years 9 months ago #2055 by simonr
@ Tekasis, just checked your post.
H: 370mm
L: 688mm
W: front 564mm
W: rear 388mm
Tried both 1225 and 1225e versions. Better, flatter response from the e version. More punch on snare etc. More power handling, and sounds good even when pushing it. The horn is really for outdoor use, could need the throat opening out slightly to say 225 or 250 for indoor use, just to counter the lift at the bottom end inconfined spaces. The neoversions aren't in production at the moment, so I've been told. They look good but I think that theferrite versions have the edge, even though they're heavier. Price will be proportionately more as well!.Pass on which is theoretically better for horn loading, I may be wrong, but I think that would be more relevant in lower frequency applications. Ok I've just been convicted of heresy, but whatever sounds and performs better in the end, gets my vote!.

15 years 9 months ago #2057 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1x12 d-r horn
TF1225e is vented for increased power handling. I've used them in midrange horns and reflex cabs.

Edit - what simon said. meh.

Neo magnets are great in some places as they are lighter and smaller than ferrite counterparts. However, they have a significantlyt lower Curie point, where the magnet loses its magnetism and therefore when they get too hot they break. They're also more fragile, and magnetism is affected by hard knocks.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 9 months ago #2078 by strapping young stu
Replied by strapping young stu on topic 1x12 d-r horn

Deadbeat wrote:
Neo magnets are great in some places as they are lighter and smaller than ferrite counterparts. However, they have a significantlyt lower Curie point, where the magnet loses its magnetism and therefore when they get too hot they break. They're also more fragile, and magnetism is affected by hard knocks.

1) But due to the smaller mass they should lose what heat they do generate much more quickly than their ferrite counterparts

2) If you are driving your midrange cabs to such an extent that they are taking that much heat and abuse you could do with having more cabinets anyway.

Stu

Power = Versatility x Intelligence