Old Lascala and Bill Fitzmaurice tops- SIMILAR?

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 3 months ago #11037 by MAutopsy
I have studied the Lascala, in all sizes down to a 10" Driver, then a few months ago, i found the Fitzmaurice site. It seems he took the old Lascala and refined it.
I have been considering building a 10" Lascala and seeing what it can do for mids.
Any thoughts or Suggestions?
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11041 by bee

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 3 months ago #11042 by MAutopsy
thatsa damn nice lascala, i have a pic of the guts of a fitzmaurice cab, but im not sure if im supposed t opost them, so im not. but the designs for the folded horn are kinda similar

More
13 years 3 months ago #11043 by nrpinc
I'm pretty sure that Bill has not copied the lascala design. Kepp in mind that ther are only so many ways to make a folded horn box. I am an authorized builder of BFM cabs and pay a monthly fee to be one so i don't think his design is stolen form anyone. They maybe similar in design but not the same. All manufacturers has the same desin in boxes, look at the JBL(Bill Keele) horn box its the same layout and design as EV's TL 5050 and TL 4050 box. Like I said there are only so many ways to make a horn loaded box. Eventually someone's box design is going to look like someone elses.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11044 by bee

More
13 years 3 months ago #11052 by nrpinc

nrpinc wrote: All manufacturers has the same desin in boxes, look at the JBL(Bill Keele) horn box its the same layout and design as EV's TL 5050 and TL 4050 box. Like I said there are only so many ways to make a horn loaded box. Eventually someone's box design is going to look like someone elses.

Correction-The EAW BH882/Big Bertha box is a similar design as the EV TL 4025/4050/5050 boxes not the JBL. The JBL(Bill Keele) design is the same layout as the Eminence box here on this site from the Eminence Speaker box book.

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 3 months ago #11053 by MAutopsy
thanks gentlemen, I wasn't trying tosay he stole the design. I'm doing my own research and was looking into folded mids, and these are about the only two i have seen

More
13 years 3 months ago #11054 by nrpinc
Folded mid designs are tough to come by. Most of the horn mids are straight horn designs. I know Bill's DR Series mid boxes are kind of a folded horn but other than that I haven't seen to many.

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 3 months ago #11055 by MAutopsy
the thing im trying to figure out is if it will sound Tubey being that its a mid. I have never heard a BFM cab, but have heard something like a lascala in a home. and it sounded ok.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11056 by nrpinc
I have sold quite a bit of the Omni Top Series boxes and also have done some installs with them. The 12" version with Delta Pro 12As and PSD 2002 Comp drivers on the H295 horn and they are amazing to say the least. The most importing thing with them is that they need to be x-over at 100hzHP. If you are looking to x-over lower you may want to look into the Jack 12 box. Similar design as the O-Top12 but will go to 40HZ but a little less mid range than the O-TOP 12. Both boxes sound amazing either way.

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds