Recommended 15" cabinet for ~80 - 200Hz

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8385 by awacs
Guys I'm a NewB but great forum and lots of great information!

I've been using a ES18BPH (Eminence Kilomax Pro 18 loaded) design from here working well for me on sub bass up to 80, but was looking to complement that with a 15" horn-loaded cabinet to fill in before a top I'm using at around 200 and up. Music is primarily dance music and looking to possibly do 4 of each (4 ES18BPH's and 4 15's per stack).

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated. I was looking at some front loaded cabinets with JBL 2226H's but would rather have a horn bass range if possible...

Best-

A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8386 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Recommended 15" cabinet for ~80 - 200Hz
I would have thought that the HD15 bandpass horn would have been perfect for you

Tony

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8387 by jsk
Replied by jsk on topic Recommended 15" cabinet for ~80 - 200Hz
I would suggest that the HD15 may struggle to xover to the tops at 200hz, they tend to honk above 160/170.

Steve

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8388 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic Recommended 15" cabinet for ~80 - 200Hz
Isn't the ES18BPH supposed to cover 54 to 250Hz? That is the info on the plan .Maybe you should look for a sub design and change your crossover points.Have you tried crossing your ES18BPH differently?

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #8389 by Tony Wilkes
See later post
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Tony Wilkes.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8390 by Tony Wilkes

jsk wrote: I would suggest that the HD15 may struggle to xover to the tops at 200hz, they tend to honk above 160/170.

Steve

I disagree I think it is honky throughout its full range but a bit more honky towards 200hz.

Used on dance music etc. it should be fine. I would never use them for live.

Tony

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8396 by awacs
Replied by awacs on topic Recommended 15" cabinet for ~80 - 200Hz
GiveorTake yes you're right the ES18BPH does go well above 200 according to the posted data, I've just found for what I do it sounds really sweet as a subwoofer from 80 down. The systems I've used it on have a 2-way 15" off the shelf-top from 80 up to 5k where I have Beyma CP22's going the rest of the way up. I plan on using a smaller 3-way top with the ES18BPH on the bottom but was looking for more "umpf" in the upper kick area and thought a 15" horn loaded might be a bit more sweet then doing a straight up 15" front-loaded for that 80-200 range.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #8397 by Tony Wilkes
Remember that just because a design shows output high up but does not mean that it will sound good. I personally would not run a ES18BPH much above 120hz. Lots of 18" drivers are flat up to 1K who wants to run them up to that?

Tony

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds