• jake_fielder
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #829 by jake_fielder
JF Vented Horn was created by jake_fielder
Thought I'd bung this thread here...

... this is a general purpose bass bin i hope to prototype soon...

OK, I'm have a final design fora ported horn,
The design looks a little like this; (outer dimensions will be something like818mm x 636mm x 636mm)

The mouth is 3600cm2 not 4800 as the diagram states.

Input Parameters:

Sensitivity 1w/1m: (bear in mind the idea is to EQ the tuning freq up (37Hz) as there is V low excursion at this point)

Driver excursion plot at 700w - probably the most I'll put through these....

I know the xmax isn't rated at 10mm, but I've been talking about this before and i was thinking of giving it a try anyway....

Heres the little fellas!:

ME! on SP wrote: As far as thepredicted plot goes, ATM its looking like for 1w @1m103dB +/-2 from 52Hz-225Hz. The tuning frequency of the port is 37Hzand the idea is that at the tuning frequency i can give the eq a massive boost without risk of over excursion, hopefully bringing 37Hz up to the same sensitivity as the rest of the usable bandwidth. With a high pass filter just below the tuning frequency (like 34/35).

Of course it could end upnothing like how i want it,and the prototype couldbe a bag of wank. Only one way to find out though!

I dont know how the EQing will work, hopefully it will be as expected, I do think there will be a slight dip in the response after eqbetween the horn drop off to the tuning freq (I'll draw a pic) this wont be able to be EQd out as the driver will move to far (thats my guess).

That about it! I'll have to wait a while (formoney) then I'll prototype. I'll make four or eight if its good, the idea is its 1 way, bass and kick in one, it should play high(ish) as its not too folded,andalso down to ~35Hz (i hope) Its also not too big and reasonably efficient, so if it all works out I'll be wellchuffed!

Thats what i thought originally, and i know its a risky business, but if this works and has a reasonable flattishoutput from 35-180 with a bit of EQ and sound half decent then it'll be a great result for a single cab of that size....

Right, thats about it for now, I'm going to put build pics, test results & possibly plots up on here as soon as its built. If anyone has any questions you may find they've been answered here ...

TO FOLLOW:
<UL>
<LI>Proper diagram with dimensions</LI>
<LI>Build pics</LI>
<LI>Test results</LI>
<LI>Me inevitablyblowing one up</LI>[/list]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #832 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic JF Vented Horn
Guess you'd be really interested to see the test results of my ported horns. Should really drag all the plots off my laptop wherever I've put it.....

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #864 by
Replied by on topic JF Vented Horn
They are very similier designs... and Chris's sure do work well!

• jake_fielder
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #888 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic JF Vented Horn
brill, cant wait!

More
15 years 10 months ago #897 by static age
Replied by static age on topic JF Vented Horn
pardon my ignorance guys as ported horns are something i have had no experience with.Jake, would something like the design in your pic suffer from alot of port noise due to such a long narrow port?

I woke up. The pain and sickness all over me like an animal. Then I realized what it was. The music coming up from the floor was our old friend, Ludwig Van, and the dreaded Ninth Symphony.

• jake_fielder
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #905 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic JF Vented Horn
Possibly, i dont know.... I thinkthe port isgoing to look very different to that once i build it anyway, i'll change it until it sounds right!

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds