black widow 1505KA8DT any sugestions

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #24416 by GuyOverThere
black widow 1505KA8DT any sugestions was created by GuyOverThere
Hi I'll try be brief yet descriptive. I got 4 black widows 1505KA8DT [350w] in  twin reflex cabs that I wonder if I could get better out of them with something other than the stock peavey cabs.
With my initial reading of posts the tiny Xmax (1mm) & high Fs(50.8Hz) tells me they''re not subs but they could be bass/ kick bass. [not fancying the idea of putting them in midtops just yet as it would unbalance the whole rig]
I read a post from Cubo15 [to another user] that for these, for kick bass a complicated horn [his words] would be the way to go.
I've been looking over the plans and I still can't figure what would be suitable to even bother modelling in hornresp, any suggestions please,

Current set up; single superscoop, these 4 black widows, 4 *15 inch 300w fane classics,  4* 10 inch 150w classics and fane tweeters, plus 2 * wharfdale lx15b 700w so although I'm short of sub, but I've got lots of bass reflex that I have to make sense of. [I never use all this at once, but would if I could balance it]
Music... erm hard dance.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #24426 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic black widow 1505KA8DT any sugestions
Do you have a link to the post where I said that, it would help giving you an answer to your question.

Best regards Cubo

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #24427 by GuyOverThere
Replied by GuyOverThere on topic black widow 1505KA8DT any sugestions
Thanks for the reply
Here's your quote, but it was really a just a passing comment

freespeakerplans.com/kunena/16-bass/2125...ouble-15-plans#23915
I've had some thinking time and ultimately I think they'd be great in some powerful 2*15 bi or tri amped full rangers. but have much rebalancing of my rig to do before that can happen

I was hoping they might be suited to a hog design or even a single 15" w bin [or both, I'm think I like the idea of being able to swap drivers into cabs suited to an event.
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by GuyOverThere.

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #24428 by GuyOverThere
The specs to save you searching (xmax is actually worse that 1.0mm, it's 0.9mm), and thanks for including range specs on the cubo15, I wish more designs included this.

SPECIFICATIONS
1505KA-8dT
15”
IMPEdANCE 8 Ohms
program 700 w
continuous 350 w
SENSITIvITy 99.0 dB/1w
USABlE FrEq. 40 Hz - 2 kHz
Cone Kevlar® impregnated cellulose
VOICE COIl 4.0”/100MM
vOICE COIl MATErIAl Aluminum ribbon wire Polyimide-impregnated impregnated fiberglass formerNomex® stiffener Solderless diffusion Solderless diffusion OFHC welded copper leads
nom r (ohms) 8
re (ohms) 5.23
Sd (square meters) 0.084
Bl (T/M)17.70
Fs (Hz)50.8
vas (liters) 143.5
Cms (uM/N) 143.3
Mms (gm) 68.50
qms 7.60
qes 0.367
qts 0.350
Xmax (mm) 0.9
le (mH) 0.28
SPl (1w 1m) 99.0
No (%) 4.50
vd (cu in/ml) 4.6 / 76
Pmax (watts pgm) 700
disp. (cu. in /ml) 197 / 3229

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #24429 by Cubo15
I hardly ever make passing comments ;) If I can't remember them they usually contain clues to my train of thought.

I also think they're great as part of a 2 or 3 way full range cabinet as everything about them seems optimized for that use. Newer drivers often have Xmax calculated by adding 1/4 of the gap depth, these drivers might use the older calculation that doesn't, so the usable excursion could be higher then published. If you can tell more about your current use, like the reflex cabinet internal volume, tuning plus the power and processing they get, it's possible to deduce if there's more possibilities for them and what those might be. Still, in pretty much any case that would be a front loaded horn rather then a HOG.

Best regards Cubo
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Cubo15.

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #24430 by GuyOverThere
As is, for a twin 15" cab the internal volume works out around 313 litres, tuned to 40Hz.
As for power I've a few amps so anything from 1-1.3Kw [just under watts pgm]. [can depend on what amps I have to hand and what amps are loaned out]
Processing, [again depends on what other bass speakers I have available] A couple of amps have HP40Hz-LP150Hz crossovers in them, peavey recommends a LP @200Hz, and I also recently got a dbx driverRack PA [which are laughed at in pro audio circles but it's better than nothing] So I'm still experimenting with what's best. If I have my 18"superscoop I've tried using the peaveys as kick, 80Hz to 140Hz, if the scoop is on loan I use them 40-150Hz

But like I said I have a few bass reflex cabs that I need to make sense of [and want to change] and am willing to take guidance and experiment with.

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 8 months ago #24431 by GuyOverThere
This design caught my eye, I've read that it is suited to drivers with a short xmax. and as far as I have read will cover the frequencies.
But again any suggestions are welcome

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago #24440 by GuyOverThere
Two week bump

• GuyOverThere
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 6 months ago #24452 by GuyOverThere
Last hope bump,

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #24458 by Cubo15
The design you posted is indeed suited for drivers with a short Xmax. It doesn't go particularly low (50-ish Hz) and personally I would not use them as kick but rather as a bass cabinet. I would call it a long throw design (if there's such a thing).

If you currently use them in a 300 liter reflex cabinet tuned at 40 Hz and you're able to give them 1 kW per pair Xmax must be a lot higher then advertised. In that case you could use them in Cubo Kick.

Best regards Cubo
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Cubo15.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds