Dual purpose, plan A, B, and C!

• bjm362
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 7 months ago #23532 by bjm362
Dual purpose, plan A, B, and C! was created by bjm362
Ok, so what I am trying to accomplish is to build a pair of dual purpose cabs using some drivers I have.
The purposes are both for live sound, sound reinforcement with some recorded material during breaks.
I want to use them as subs with a smaller low powered system, but then when I get some bigger gigs I want to be able to use them as kick bins with my 118s folded horns doing the sub work.
Punisher horns have the right frequency response ( 50 to 200Hz), but are just a bit more complicated to build. There also is not as much info on them as there is on Cubo 12's ( Frequency: From 44 Hz up to 140 Hz ).
I do feel like Cubo 12's are pretty thoroughly proven at this point. I think if I smooth the corners a bit, I can get enough range increase on the top that they will work well.

The other issue with this is the existing drivers. Still new in the box, but no longer in production. Exact specs are unavailable, they do not even have those up anymore.
I have the 4 ohm version, and around the time I bought them we established that the TS parameters were close, not ideal, but close enough to try.
The Punisher Horns, would probably be the same kind of risk, but better chances of them getting a bit higher. They will also be bigger and heavier.
my crossover is 24db per octave slope and I normally do not use the sub out for the subs. I use it to have control over the frequency of my low cut. I normally dial that output to 45 hz with nothing connected, then run 45 to 120hz to my subs.
If it works, I will like try it out on the low power system(s) running the Cubos from 50 to 110 then trying the big system with the 118s'es running from 45 to 90 and the Cubo 12s from 90 to hopefully about 170 or so.

If I remember correctly the specs on the 4 ohm version were almost identical to the specs on the 8 ohm version. They still make and sell those so I am including them.
Operating Bandwidth: 30Hz ~ 3.2KHz
Power Handling Capacity: 350W RMS
Sensitivity (1W/M): 96 dB
Voice Coil Diameter: 2.2 inch
Overall frame diameter: 12.28"
Thiele-Small Parameters:
Resonance Frequency Fs: 36.23 Hz
DC Resistance Re: 6.3 ohm
Mechanical Q Factor Qms: 2.823
Electrical Q Factor Qes: 0.476
Total Q Factor Qts: 0.407
Equivalent Cas air load Vas: 121.67 liters
Efficiency Bandwidth Product EBP 89.017
X-max 7 mm

Plan A) try this and hope it works for both purposes.
Plan B) try using the cubos only with the lowest power system
Plan C) build some Punisher horns.

Any opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #23552 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Dual purpose, plan A, B, and C!
Neither Cubo 12 or the Punisher are really usable as kick bin, it doesn't help that the 12" specs mentioned aren't really optimal for kick either. My personal bet would be Cubo 12 up to 110 Hz (a bit higher if you can use EQ. For kick I would either resort to reflex cabinets or Cubo Kick.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: bjm362

• bjm362
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 6 months ago #23570 by bjm362
Replied by bjm362 on topic Dual purpose, plan A, B, and C!
Thank you for taking a look. I am still not sure what I am going to do with these. I do feel like they would perform pretty well in a cubo 12, so long as I did not push them to far. During the time I was not able to access this site I did find a site with some designs that use driver specific calculators. I have wanted to build some Cubo's for a long time, but this may turn out not to be that build...

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds