'DOUBLE S HORN'

• Reality Sound
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #21208 by Reality Sound
Replied by Reality Sound on topic 'DOUBLE S HORN'

tony.a.s.s. wrote: Just like that, and of course, it comes in different shapes and sizes according to the mouth opening itself.My latest Horn Cab which has a 21" speaker has a square mouth in front of the speaker, with the idea that the pressure in front of the cone will be more even.

Any pics Tony?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #21210 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic 'DOUBLE S HORN'
Not yet, the cabs are made but not finished due to work load. They were built before Christmas. One is a Folded Horn Cab and the other is a Scoop. They are 4' high and also 4' deep. B and C 21SW152'sw will be inside. I'm hoping that in around two weeks I can get to finish them and get them tested.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Reality Sound
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #21232 by Reality Sound

tony.a.s.s. wrote: Not yet, the cabs are made but not finished due to work load. They were built before Christmas. One is a Folded Horn Cab and the other is a Scoop. They are 4' high and also 4' deep. B and C 21SW152'sw will be inside. I'm hoping that in around two weeks I can get to finish them and get them tested.

Sounds good Tony, always look forward to seeing your new projects......

Is it- NOT A GOOD IDEA to have the drivers firing towards each other? Head on?

More
10 years 3 months ago #21233 by Dref
Replied by Dref on topic 'DOUBLE S HORN'

Reality Sound wrote: Is it- NOT A GOOD IDEA to have the drivers firing towards each other? Head on?

As far as I know it is not necessary a problem that drivers are "firing" towards each other. The problem can come from a very uneven cone loading which can arise from the V shaped throat that you used in your last design for example. That is actually why I would argue that the letterbox throat would improve driver durability. (Assuming they are made correct and are not a source for increased compression.)

• Reality Sound
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #21241 by Reality Sound

Dref wrote:

Reality Sound wrote: Is it- NOT A GOOD IDEA to have the drivers firing towards each other? Head on?

As far as I know it is not necessary a problem that drivers are "firing" towards each other. The problem can come from a very uneven cone loading which can arise from the V shaped throat that you used in your last design for example. That is actually why I would argue that the letterbox throat would improve driver durability. (Assuming they are made correct and are not a source for increased compression.)

I plan a square letter box 'opening' at the start of the horn. Was just curious about them firing towards each other vs both drivers firing into a common chamber, like in Alamo's meatgrinder etc. forum.speakerplans.com/2x18-meatgrinder-v2-done_topic29174.html

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #21243 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic 'DOUBLE S HORN'
Shouldn't the area at the throat (Where the pressure from both drivers meets) be at least double the area of each individual letterbox is to avoid negative expansion right at the beginning of the horn? Otherwise it would start to act as a front chamber and turn it more into a bandpass horn rather than a standard FLH.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by bgrade.

• Reality Sound
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 years 3 months ago #21244 by Reality Sound

bgrade wrote: Shouldn't the area at the throat (Where the pressure from both drivers meets) be at least double the area of each individual letterbox is to avoid negative expansion right at the beginning of the horn? Otherwise it would start to act as a front chamber and turn it more into a bandpass horn rather than a standard FLH.

Brilliant question........mmmmmm.......PASS.

I would make the area of the 'double sided letterbox' small enough to avoid negative expansion at the throat, but I see what your getting at. I'll draw up a 'top' view. (when i have a moment)

More
10 years 3 months ago #21247 by Dref
Replied by Dref on topic 'DOUBLE S HORN'

bgrade wrote: Shouldn't the area at the throat (Where the pressure from both drivers meets) be at least double the area of each individual letterbox is to avoid negative expansion right at the beginning of the horn? Otherwise it would start to act as a front chamber and turn it more into a bandpass horn rather than a standard FLH.

The simple answer is yes. (Depends on what you want to achieve of course ;) )

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds