Folded 1x15 Horn

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3119 by simonr
Replied by simonr on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
Sorry, but I forgot to add that the baffle is now just a plain round hole!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3131 by super-hero
Replied by super-hero on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
Would a fane 15b driver work in this box.

Sorry for what might be a silly question, but I just don't have a clue when it comes to t/s parameters.

Cheers.

I\'m not an animal. I\'m a human being.

www.phase-audio.co.uk

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3134 by simonr
@ super-hero, if you are talking about the fane colossus15b600, then it has a high enough BL of over 23, low enough QTS of less than 0.3, and an xmax greater than 5mm, so would work just fine on paper, it being in between the 4080f and fd in nearly all respects.At about 600 watts, you should be at around 137 db for a pair. I would not recommend you trying to use tham singly. Like the HD15's, the more the merrier. The 4080 hd's are 1000 watts each, so that's why you can get such a high spl.
Hope this helps.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3150 by arksystems
Replied by arksystems on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
The internals look very similar to the Martin 215 mk3,any chance thats where you got your inspiration?

Dave Martin is alive and living in my kitchen.

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 9 months ago #3152 by simonr
@ArkSystems, I have neverintentionally studiedthe plans for a Martin 215 mk3, although I may have seen them in passing and not known what they were. This horn was first simulated in Hornresp, and played with until it 'came right'. It was simulated as a single horn in the first instance. After the first prototypewas built, I decided that it would be better to change it slightly,to drop the lower cut-off, and make it as a mirrored pair.It was designed as a single horn and mirrored around what is now the central axis. If it has any resemblance to a Martin bin, it is purely coincidental. I suppose it goes to show that there are a very limited number of ways an acoustic design can evolvefor alow frequency horn.
I must also point out that the front curve may be slightly misleading. It is purely a projection of the drawing to get some idea of the overall paired mouth area. These boxes are square. All my designs are original, and are conceived in Hornresp first, and then given form in cad.If I have just re-designed a Martin cabinet, it's purely accidental!!.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3154 by arksystems
Replied by arksystems on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
Cool dude,no offence meant,like you say there areonly so many ways you can fold a horn .
Your designs look great ,would love to hear them sometime.Where in Dorset are you?(i'm in Devon).

Dave Martin is alive and living in my kitchen.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3772 by djeddie
Replied by djeddie on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
Just wondered if the plans were available yet. Looks exactly what I'm looking for.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3777 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
Wow, good stuff simon, i have only just noticed this thread...

That is a pretty efficient horn, does it sound alright up to 200Hz?

• simonr
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 8 months ago #3787 by simonr
Just building the final versions, playing with the rear chamber volume at the moment. I'm crossing over at 180hz for this cab, and at 200hz to the mid flare using a dcx 2496. Sounds really clean with the 4080f's. The gap between xover points is not noticeable, as I said there is a slight lift at about 200hz. Spreading the xover points saves eqing. Going to try the fd's next, whentime permits.Proper plans will be available when things are finalised, and both drivers fully tested.

More
15 years 8 months ago #3789 by jake_fielder
Replied by jake_fielder on topic Folded 1x15 Horn
How much does that driver cost?
Because i have been day dreaming....
(even though my design is supposed to be a 1 way bass soloution) I was considering having two of these in my system. I plan on building 6 of my cabs (stacked 2 accross and 3 high), if i was doing a big event i could have two of these 15" folded horns on top of my six somy 18"scould concentrate more on sub and have your cab doingthe higher stuff (90/100-180), thefrequency response looksreally good and efficient. 2 could probably keep up with 6 of myported horns, especially if i have the narrow frequency bandthat i have suggested. It could let my system go a bit louder.

Im sure i dont need to build anything elso for now but imjust thinking out loud.... andI really like the look of that response! also under 1 sheet of ply sounds good to me!

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds