Help me for a single 15" reflex kickbin

More
13 years 3 months ago #11059 by sil
I've been searching for plans for a single 15" kick box (between scoop and MT121 doing 80Hz to 200/300Hz) and found many threads with useful advice. I see some where people recomend to shorten the B&C sub15 a bit saying it won't be a problem, regarding the purpose of this box.

I'd like your advice because I plan to use a driver like PD1550 or PD156 and just need to clear some doubts regarding the box parameters, since I don't know how to sim in Winisd...

-What should be the optimum volume of the box and the port size?
-Between these 2 drivers which one would you choose?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11060 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Help me for a single 15" reflex kickbin

sil wrote: I've been searching for plans for a single 15" kick box (between scoop and MT121 doing 80Hz to 200/300Hz) and found many threads with useful advice. I see some where people recomend to shorten the B&C sub15 a bit saying it won't be a problem, regarding the purpose of this box.

I'd like your advice because I plan to use a driver like PD1550 or PD156 and just need to clear some doubts regarding the box parameters, since I don't know how to sim in Winisd...

-What should be the optimum volume of the box and the port size?
-Between these 2 drivers which one would you choose?

Thanks

Are the MT121s already built? Additional 110L chamber tuned to 55Hz would be compatible with many drivers.

If not, have you considered getting them built with additional 15" reflex section below?
May have to be Neo driver, if weight is serious issue.PD1550 would be great on lower notes, however 15" drivers with Fs=40hz+ would give much more SPL @ 100-200hz, also 1550 is really horn driver and very heavy.

Was at friends place on Tues night, tuning up 5x way mono active stack using Berry LMS.

Firstly tried reflex kick section from 80-200hz, and we didn't like the sound of it on roots/reggae.
Was only when we lowered kick section to start at 65hz, that we were both happy. Made me rethink my kick plans.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
13 years 3 months ago #11061 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Help me for a single 15" reflex kickbin
so.. was the scoops upper xover point 65hz?

More
13 years 3 months ago #11062 by sil
Replied by sil on topic Help me for a single 15" reflex kickbin

levyte357 wrote:
Are the MT121s already built? Additional 110L chamber tuned to 55Hz would be compatible with many drivers.

If not, have you considered getting them built with additional 15" reflex section below?
May have to be Neo driver, if weight is serious issue.PD1550 would be great on lower notes, however 15" drivers with Fs=40hz+ would give much more SPL @ 100-200hz, also 1550 is really horn driver and very heavy.

Was at friends place on Tues night, tuning up 5x way mono active stack using Berry LMS.

Firstly tried reflex kick section from 80-200hz, and we didn't like the sound of it on roots/reggae.
Was only when we lowered kick section to start at 65hz, that we were both happy. Made me rethink my kick plans.

Thanks for the tips, the MTs aren't built yet, I've considered that option but still I might go the single 15" route because this way I can do stacks of 3scoops+3kicks+2MT. I think it gives a bit more flexibility eventough it's less practical.

Weight would not be that much of an issue and seeing that PD156 has FS=51Hz this driver would be a good candidate for the box you mention, right? I'm going for PD because they're easily accessible from thomann...

Regarding the crossover, for now I guess I'll be stuck with 80Hz because of my JTS, since not everything will go thru the DCX :shh: :lol:

So, I gave it a try on winisd with these values and got a port depth of 23,25cm using 2x (19x10 square braces), can anyone confirm this?

More
13 years 3 months ago #11063 by levyte357

bitzo wrote: so.. was the scoops upper xover point 65hz?

Nah, scoop upper xover was 79hz.

More
13 years 3 months ago #11064 by levyte357

sil wrote:
Thanks for the tips, the MTs aren't built yet, I've considered that option but still I might go the single 15" route because this way I can do stacks of 3scoops+3kicks+2MT. I think it gives a bit more flexibility eventough it's less practical.

Weight would not be that much of an issue and seeing that PD156 has FS=51Hz this driver would be a good candidate for the box you mention, right? I'm going for PD because they're easily accessible from thomann...

Regarding the crossover, for now I guess I'll be stuck with 80Hz because of my JTS, since not everything will go thru the DCX :shh: :lol:

So, I gave it a try on winisd with these values and got a port depth of 23,25cm using 2x (19x10 square braces), can anyone confirm this?

Regarding scoop xover, we still ran scoops from 79hz upward, just ran kicks abit lower, so at start of tune when sub is off, you get nice kick drum coming thru kicks, before sub is engaged.. smiley36

Your winisd figs look about right.

However to give you an idea of cab sizes, Simplified MT121 is approx W567mm x D668mm

110L 15" reflex cab with vents below driver will be "approx" H520mm x W567mm x D380mm (port is approx 7L)

So you can see there will be serious overhang of the MT121 off the back of the kick bin.

My rusty maths tell me additional H520mm 15" "trap section" to Simplified MT121, with panel 172mm from rear, gives me approx 110L.. smiley23
Can't remember if that includes port vol. <Experts may chose to verify> smiley20

Attachments:

More
13 years 3 months ago #11083 by sil
Replied by sil on topic Help me for a single 15" reflex kickbin
Yes Lev, thanks for the support

I went with the separate kick bins, just designed one that was 636 wide so that it can fit on top of my superscoops. I'll post some pics soon as I'll try to build everything this next week...

Should I line the whole sides of the box with polyester fibre as in superscooper plan?

You should give it a try to MT+kick section, would like to know the outcome of that epic project!

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds