Getting the best out of scoops...

More
15 years 10 months ago #2310 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Getting the best out of scoops...
[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]. Those lines were given to me by a nice chap who theorised to me about how scoops worked. Thought the scoops there made the sound more round, and true to those words, roooollledd them bass notes out. Like ice cream.

Doesn't making a horn out of completely curved ply make its response that little bit better (constant flare rate blah blah), especially in the midrange? I've made some hi-fi horns that way, and I think minaximal and mykey both use curves-a-plenty in their designs (The Terra Horn and Brute 45?)

Also, does the silver sand help reduce any panel vibrations, similar to those monitors filled with sand and the original Japanese Onken Bass reflex design? Like the way ASS cabs are always really solid and overengineered.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2322 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic Getting the best out of scoops...
I've tested this many times

outside standing up

inside,on their side's

very large venues, standing up

twinneypaul, that was a classic line, was it Robbie who said that

I loved it when your brothertwinneysteve did the voice for it

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2323 by mykey

Heathrow_B_Line wrote: Is it better to stand them all up or stack them so the horn mouths are all located in the centre?

Standing them all up seems alot less hassle but if any body has perceived any performance increase in stack them on there sides i may be convinced to try it

your using more of the floor by standing them up, more floor becoming an extension of the horns

house partys and small venues stacked how you say HBL is better, they're not using the floor so much and seem to have shorter throw

I stod in one spot and listened to the DuSub on its side in a small foyer and the bass was all over me, I asked the engineer to physicaly stand it upright and has he did the bass dissapeared more behind me shaking the windows and doors

outside in the car park, on its side was Krap, stood it up and I started smiling again

but remember, this was only one

dansound once did the Waterden Road venue in Hackney (large venue)with scoops on there sides, they must have been 3 high and driver to driver (not all the mouths together)it wasn't saying much, andI commented that he should have stood them up, ice cream scoop styleeeee

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2346 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Getting the best out of scoops...

mykey wrote: I stod in one spot and listened to the DuSub on its side in a small foyer and the bass was all over me, I asked the engineer to physicaly stand it upright and has he did the bass dissapeared more behind me shaking the windows and doors

outside in the car park, on its side was Krap, stood it up and I started smiling again

During the indoor test, you were probably hearing the effect of driver proximity to the floor-ceiling antinode.

Edit:Groupie at last!!!11111!!!111!!1!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!1
Edited by: jsg

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 10 months ago #2362 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Getting the best out of scoops...
Deadbeat, regarding the flare shape. Don't forget the horn in the scoop is only curved at the end, the rest is straight sides. My RX 18 doesn't even have a smooth curve. It's made up of staggered straight pieces to make it stronger.
Your comment about mid flares is a different matter. You need to understand defraction. The smaller the wave length, the more critical the shape becomes. Thats why I said that bass waves only see an expansion rate and not shape. A wave length of 10 meters is unaffected by a shape that is smaller than itself. But a shape or change in shape that is larger than the wave length will interfere dramatically.
Silver sand is used so as not to transfer resonance through the floor. Trays, with the footprint of the stack, are always made and then filled with around 100mm of sand.
This may seem like fine tuning, but with it comes performance.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 10 months ago #2367 by mykey

jsg wrote:

mykey wrote: I stod in one spot and listened to the DuSub on its side in a small foyer and the bass was all over me, I asked the engineer to physicaly stand it upright and has he did the bass dissapeared more behind me shaking the windows and doors

During the indoor test, you were probably hearing the effect of driver proximity to the floor-ceiling antinode.

Edit:Groupie at last!!!11111!!!111!!1!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!1

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2368 by wafflesomd
Replied by wafflesomd on topic Getting the best out of scoops...
I received a lot longer throw having mine upright rather than stacked.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2370 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Getting the best out of scoops...
Nobody has really mentioned yet that the difference might be due to the scoop having two different radiating areas. With the scoop on it's side both the horn and the direct radiation from the driver will couple equally with the floor. Standing up, the horn part of the cabinet will couple more than the direct radiator.

Similar effects have been noticed in the past with other types of cabs, eg the GSub with it's single central port. I would normally stack cabs like than on their side so that both drivers and the port couple equally with the floor. Unfortunately I've never bothered to do a direct comparison. Nowadays my reflex cabs have the ports distributed equally around the drivers so the difference should be negligible.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds