First time builder guidance

• DJ Lachlan
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #24620 by DJ Lachlan
First time builder guidance was created by DJ Lachlan
Hello everyone,

I am a DJ and Live sound technician looking to build some folded horn subwoofers for light PA use / to learn about speaker design and improve my woodworking.
I have been doing alot of research on horn subs and reading through other forum discussions to educate myself as much as possible, but don't want to build something and find out a week later i was an idiot and did the wrong thing (hahaha).

Current wants for the speaker:
  • 35-100 HZ (lets be real; 40hz, but i love deeeep bass (24 hz is my current Home Theater lowest))
  • 100 db outside, 20-50 persons
  • not too big (no 4x 18" cabs, I only have a ute for transport, and all my other gear too)
  • Light weight (ish) I will more than likely put castors on the rear for transportation
  • Punchy bass
  • Used for house, some DnB, mainly electronic based music
I am quite a fan of Martin Audio's WSX subs, they have an intersting enclosure design: The rear of the driver is in a Sealed section, were as the front is just like a regular FH, which creates a very tight bass signal, and is what I am interested to do as well as a Cubo.
In terms of drivers; I dont know. Drivers will be the most expensive part of this build for me, I'm a high school student (broke) in Australia (shipping is a nightmare).
I'm sorted for wood and material, 18 mm Ply i can get for free, wood glue i have, jigsaw, circular saw, square's, screws, drill bits etc...I am currently considering Cubo 12's.

I understand just some 12" FH's probably wont go down to 35hz with 50ppl, but I want to just have some fun!

Thanks!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by DJ Lachlan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds