AuraSound NRT18-8 Help with cab needed.

More
7 years 1 month ago #23824 by ustas
Hi, all.
I have a pair of Aura Sound NRT18-8 speakers, planing to use them in home like Hi-End Subs down from 200Hz.

Thiele / Small Parameters:
Resonant Frequency (Fo) - Fs . . . . .25 Hertz
Voice Coil DC Resistance - Re . . . . .5.6 Ohms
Total Q - Qts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.26
Mechanical Q - Qms . . . . . . . . . . . .4.4
Electrical Q - Qes . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0.28
Equivalent Volume of Air - Vas . . . . .475 L
Radiating Piston Area - Sd . . . . . . . .0.124 m2
Linear Excursion - Xmax . . . . . . . . .18 mm
more in spec sheet: www.ari-web.com/aurasound/pdf/nrt18-8.pdf
Are that drivers working good in some Cubo boxes?

Regards, Pavel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #23826 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic AuraSound NRT18-8 Help with cab needed.
Oeww...

Those are some nice drivers, underhung subwoofers, you don't see that every day.

That being said, regardless of the enclosure type, I wouldn't use them down from 200 Hz, more like down from 80 - 110 Hz at best. Second, though they would work very well in Cubo Sub, I'm not sure it would be the right design for your application. Even a single Cubo Sub would be overkill inside any living room. I would rather use them in an enclosure tuned to 17 - 25 Hz, be it ether a reflex cabinet, tapped horn or something like a very low tuned Cubo Sub.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #23828 by ustas
Replied by ustas on topic AuraSound NRT18-8 Help with cab needed.
Thank you for response.

How I can tune CUBO down to 20-25Hz?
Any suggestion about little back / tapped horns?
What are you think about place them in a little "Q=0.707" closed box, and EQ-it? Sure, I'm don't need hi SPL in my room.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by ustas.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #23837 by Cubo15
Seeing your application and driver combination, placing them in a closed box and put a Linkwitz transform on them, would be my initial guess and by far the easiest solution. If an LT is not possible, easiest would be a 150 - 200 litre (internal) reflex cabinet tuned to 20 - 25 Hz.

As for tapped horns you could look into the Gjallerhorn ( www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45 ). Though, unless you're a sub-fanatic such as myself, two would be overkill. I've been using two 18Sound 18NLW9600, each in a 750 litre tapped horn, tuned to 20 Hz and powered by a total of 3600 W. Though impressive in my living room, it seemed to get more impressive to my neighbours the further they lived away.

A reflex cabinet or closed cabinet will likely treat your neighbours more friendly.

Best regards

Cubo

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #23838 by ustas
Replied by ustas on topic AuraSound NRT18-8 Help with cab needed.

Cubo15 wrote: Seeing your application and driver combination, placing them in a closed box and put a Linkwitz transform on them, would be my initial guess and by far the easiest solution. If an LT is not possible, easiest would be a 150 - 200 litre (internal) reflex cabinet tuned to 20 - 25 Hz.

As for tapped horns you could look into the Gjallerhorn ( www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=45 ). Though, unless you're a sub-fanatic such as myself, two would be overkill. I've been using two 18Sound 18NLW9600, each in a 750 litre tapped horn, tuned to 20 Hz and powered by a total of 3600 W. Though impressive in my living room, it seemed to get more impressive to my neighbours the further they lived away.

A reflex cabinet or closed cabinet will likely treat your neighbours more friendly.

Best regards

Cubo

WOW! I hope that your neighbors are happy, mine are definitely not, for there is no bass in my room, but surely my neighbors with my bass are all right.
Thank you for good site with monster BLH! I make them for fun :) not for home because WAF! :)

I have a very bad acoustic in my room, this is 6 x 6 x 3 m. living room with two windows. Now Auras placed in old corner Jensen BLH. Speakers are working, but I don't have THE BASS, I don't FEEL it! I think this is unpredictable phase response from Jensen BLH. Because of this I have an idea about closed box with EQ via MiniDSP....

PS: One more question: How system Qtc (enclosure+speaker) affected to bass quality? I mean we have for example 2 system with same system Qtc 0.7 one of them native Qtc, other with native Qtc 1 EQued to 0,7 with LT. Which system will produce more natural sound?
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by ustas.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #23851 by Cubo15
Personally I'm not a big fan of corner placement, if the main goal is evenly distributed bass throughout the room. I know that the Jensen was designed to be used in a corner but have you tried varying it's placement? I've gotten good results in a similar room, with the sub placed about half way across the wall.

I'm also not a big fan of basing the performance of a driver or a system on a single parameter. but if you can design a cabinet that gets the job done without EQ, that would have my preference.

Using a closed cabinet with EQ will need, or at least like a powerful amplifier. Feeling the bass is a mixture of SPL, low frequency reproduction and room placement. But generally if you can't feel the bass in a room that size with a single 18", regardless of the enclosure, I would say you're not using enough power or need to seriously investigate the room acoustics by moving the sub throughout your room.

Best regards

Cubo

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds