question-circle Modified cubo 15

8 years 5 months ago #23027 by Nightmare
Modified cubo 15 was created by Nightmare
Is it possible to modify the design of the cubo 15 to be 51cm wide instead of 64? What effect would this modification have? To elaborate im wanting to use this design x2 in place of my rear seats on my dodge ram quad cab. The drivers i currently have and was planning to use is a rockford fosgate p3 d2-15. Specifications can be found on google.

Now i know everyone here is more for pa systems and not car audio but.. Currently im using a prefab ported enclosure im only achieving 110 db with 500 watts to each at 55hz and i know these speakers are capable of much more . ide like to see about 125 db at 50hz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #23028 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Modified cubo 15
The Rockford Fosgate p3 d2-15 is best suited for a Cubo Sub at 43 cm wide (that makes a single cabinet 77 x 43 x 77 cm). This will also improve the frequency response for use in cars. freespeakerplans.com/plans/14-plans/basscab/6-cubo-sub

A single cabinet should get you close to your specified dB-level, or at least 10 dB up from your current situation.

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nightmare

8 years 4 months ago #23034 by Nightmare
Replied by Nightmare on topic Modified cubo 15
Yikes 77cm is just to much unfortunately that would require me to completely disassemble my rear doors and shave some of it off in order to fit 2 of them in the back. I have this vision of doing almost a entire wall in my backseat but yet still having the rear window usable. I understand that those dimensions are the most ideal but it wont really work with the space i have.

Anyway you can create a custom box plan for this that will outperform a normal bandpass box?

8 years 4 months ago #23044 by Cubo15
I was talking about a single Cubo Sub by the way. But you can also make 2 Cubo Subs that are 43 cm wide (give or take), 77 cm deep and 70- ish cm high. The 7 cm reduction takes place in front of the driver, at the horn mouth. This configuration would be a custom made cabinet, optimised for the driver that you have ;)

An aspect that shouldn't be overlooked is the "feel" of the design. Or in more scientific terms, what distance the cabinet is optimised for. Cubo Sub in this configuration will be able to extend the bass response well beyond the car (give a small party). As your seat is only a meter away from the cabinet, the only way to top that is a well designed cabinet, optimised for very close range. But 10 dB output beyond a reflex cabinet is a lot, 6 dB would be a lot, 4 dB would already be worth your while.

Best regards

Cubo

8 years 4 months ago #23045 by Nightmare
Thank you cubo im going to start building it today :) ill put some pictures up if i dont screw it up lol

8 years 3 months ago #23074 by Nightmare
Finally got some time to start making this box. And 1 of my 15 are now blown :( so ill be sticking to just 1 cubo sub with a rockford fosegate p3 dont know yet if im gonna wire it 1 0hm or 2 0hm depends how it sounds i guess ill start with the safer 2 0hm to begin with but heres some pics of my build in progress. This is what it looks like right now as im waiting for the glue and silicon to dry
Attachments:

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #23075 by Nightmare
Couldnt wait to test it. Sounds loud and clean till the wet silicone on the one side of the baffle started flying lmao. Ill be adding more screws to everything and resilconing it aswell in a couple days. When i get time again
Attachments:

8 years 3 months ago #23079 by Nightmare
So ive gone with wiring it 1 0hm and being very careful of how loud i turn it up my amp is 2k watt rms and the p3 15inch is only rated for 600watt rms but with just 1 cubo sub im reaching 115 db(a wieghted) which is louder then before when i had 2 15's and 2 12's and the overall sound is just more powerful and chest thumping. Very happy with the outcome. Just gotta make it look pretty now. Thanks cubo

8 years 3 months ago #23097 by Cubo15
Glad you like the results. It looks like you've mounted the driver on the inside, so this advice might come to late but if you look for t-nuts and use bolts (M5 or M6), you can take the driver out if needed. Also when going for high power subwoofers bolts make for a better seal.

Best regards

Cubo