Tham VS. Cubo

• PrettyHard
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #21740 by PrettyHard
Tham VS. Cubo was created by PrettyHard
which is better in those two plans .. i'd like to build one of them but first i want hear the voice of this forum

i will use them as my subs .. i like there compactness but big sound .. so please help me what will i build on those two

Hoping for some HELP

Best Regards

PrettyHard :-)

#OneEyedMonster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #21746 by crossed
Replied by crossed on topic Tham VS. Cubo
I have only built or heard the Cubos, and they sound pretty good. They say the Tham speakers are very good, but they require very specific drivers that are much more expensive. The beauty of the Cubo design comes from its very forgiving nature when it comes to speaker selection and the ability to use more budget drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kr1sounds

• PrettyHard
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #21751 by PrettyHard
Replied by PrettyHard on topic Tham VS. Cubo

crossed wrote: I have only built or heard the Cubos, and they sound pretty good. They say the Tham speakers are very good, but they require very specific drivers that are much more expensive. The beauty of the Cubo design comes from its very forgiving nature when it comes to speaker selection and the ability to use more budget drivers.

i'll think of it bro.. thanks for the reply .. but i really like THAM but just like what you said they require very specific drivers :dry:

I've learned that you're building 2 more cubo's .. and please dont forget to post some photos

#OneEyedMonster
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by PrettyHard.

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #21764 by martinsson
Replied by martinsson on topic Tham VS. Cubo

They say the Tham speakers are very good, but they require very specific drivers that are much more expensive.

They do ? This is a most likely a common misconception stemming from the choise of example driver, the rather but rightfully expensive 15TBX100, this leads people to think, without investigating it, that this is or simillar priced or T/S spec'ed highpower high quality drivers are the only ones for the job in the design, adding to that it's a TH, and we all know about them right :)

This is not true, infact the THAM series are rather forgiving to driver spec variations, mainly due to the generous volume coneside wich means less stress on the driver due to compression effects, high compression may yield a "better looking" response graph in a sim but can be desaterous in reality and it does, no doubt, decrease the designs driver tolerance.

All the respect and praise to David McBean and his creation Hornresp without which alot of us would be lost and unknown in this field, myself very much included, I simply can't describe what a positive effect this man has had in the global loudspeaker DIY comunity, but do not forget that a sim is just a sim, it's not reality, it's a theoretical approximation that sometimes hits the spot and some times don't, as simple as that, what you see is not allways what you hear, but most of the times it is.

Returning to what "they" say about the THAM's being picky on driver specs, well, in all honesty I probably would have taken "their" word for it aswell, especially if they are prophets of the trade, and some, most in fact, of my designs was initially met with sceptisism, pointing at designflaws claiming this and that in theory not having built anything or litned to any of it, producing "better looking" sim's and scarying people away from someting they do not fully understand since it is not in a book somewhere, those kind of people can dangerous to development and creativity, sorry about the rant, no offence intended, but I'we seen these types of claims for i while now and wanted to give you another angle on it.

The Cubos are very nice and well thought out designs that are rightfully claiming a lot of ground in the global DIY community, and they are surley even more forgiving on driver specs compared to the THAM's given their even lower compression, and in this case it might be the better choise.

Stay scpetical, it's healty, but also keep an open mind, and never forget to question what "they" say, no one is above being questioned, seeing as should they be they would still welcome it.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by martinsson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PrettyHard, janos

More
9 years 10 months ago #21774 by crossed
Replied by crossed on topic Tham VS. Cubo
That's good to hear. A long while ago, when I built my first set of Cubo's I was trying to decide on it or the TH. At the time I couldn't find any driver recommendations other than the what the plan called for which was twice the cost of what I used in my Cubo's. I was just repeating, what I now see as, outdated information that I read back then.

• PrettyHard
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #21788 by PrettyHard
Replied by PrettyHard on topic Tham VS. Cubo
Thanks Mr. Martinsson .. can you give us alternative drivers expensive/cheap

Thanks in Advance

#OneEyedMonster

More
9 years 9 months ago #21800 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Tham VS. Cubo
Because a traditional tapped horn like the THAM doesn't have a compression chamber to speak of, I would be looking for low Vas, anything between 100 - 150 L (lower OK) and preferably low Qts drivers, personally wouldn't go much higher as 0.3

Best regards

Cubo
The following user(s) said Thank You: PrettyHard

• PrettyHard
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #21813 by PrettyHard
Replied by PrettyHard on topic Re:Tham VS. Cubo
...thanks that helps a lot :-)

#OneEyedMonster

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds