bill fitzmaurice .....

• GAlexM
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 2 months ago #16604 by GAlexM
bill fitzmaurice ..... was created by GAlexM
Anyone ever Build any of his Cabinets? Thoughts ... Just curious.

I'm inclined to give it a shot or just build another 16 SB250 Clones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #16606 by bee
Replied by bee on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
bill is a very good designer, some of his cabs are ok, others are very good.... which cab did you have in mind....

More
12 years 2 months ago #16615 by Daryll
Replied by Daryll on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
Bill`s T39 and DR 250 are a killer combo , very lightweight , but as bill has said a thousand times " you gotta follow the plans to the letter" , the plans are excellent as well , 30 + pages smiley1

Daryll

More
12 years 4 days ago #17219 by Disco Stu
Replied by Disco Stu on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
I've had Omnitop 12s in the past, now use Omnitop 15s - I think they are good cabs.

Built with Eminence Kappalite 3015 and BMS 4552Nd on a smallish radial horn crossed at 1.2kHz.

I also have an Omni10.5 (Jack 10 is the closest design now) built with Eminence DL2510 & Piezos.

I would not build any of his subs, for the sole reason that there are other designs out there that can do the job just as well.

I am interested in his DR line but there are flaws (probably more flaws than the OT designs I own) that mean I would find it difficult to integrate them into my setup.

Stu

More
12 years 2 days ago #17386 by jaysinet
Replied by jaysinet on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
Stu, just curious which other designs you think for DIY speakers are better than the BFM's. Not arguing, just don't have a ton of experience with many of the DIY subs or tops that are out there. Thanks

Jay

More
12 years 2 days ago #17388 by Disco Stu
Replied by Disco Stu on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
The martinsson THAM15 for one

I am all about as flat as possible over the intended range.

What you will find with the Titans is that they are good from 60 or 80Hz up (T48 and T39) respectively but below that the dB drop is rather extreme.

I know someone who built a pair and have now pretty much replaced them with some Kappalite 3015LF reflex boxes of the same volume.

So I think there are other designs that are less efficient overall but flatter across their range and a lot smaller for it.

Stu

More
10 years 7 months ago #20546 by Hugo Biermann
Replied by Hugo Biermann on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
We are thinking of acquiring some new mid tops and I thaught I would give the omnitop J array a look. purchsed the plans and got dumb struck at the type of drivers they get loaded with. NONE of the spec woofers are intended for horn loading, but you cant call that a horn either, actually. So, that got put one side for now.

The main thing that puts me off his designs is the huge compromise on decent drivers. He tries to get a lot of 'everything' with his bass bins. The drivers do not have enough control for what they get used in. He posts comparasons [some total lies] at 1w. The titan 48 can only handle about 45 - 50v. thats around 350w. Above this you loose your vc. Thats pathetic an you do net even reach 130db... If you take any of the other horns he compares the 48 with and stick them with real power, like 1kw into the 1850, you will have a problem on your hands. It will piss all over the 48 and you will not have excursion problems. That goes for almost all his comparasons. He compares it to danly's 115. you will need 8 48's at 'full power' to keep up with 2 115's at only rated.

Be carefull before deciding.

More
10 years 7 months ago #20564 by sn95
Replied by sn95 on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
Funny I got a T60 plan last week. It's a big box at 152 * 76.2 * 38.1 but I,m going to build one and tested it .using a LAB 12 hope it sounds good .

More
10 years 7 months ago #20565 by bgrade
Replied by bgrade on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
The Tuba 60 with Lab 12s sound pretty good. I know somebody with several of the dual Lab 12 T60s. That is a big freaking box and it goes really low in a pile. Loud too.

More
6 years 6 months ago #24094 by Mac-the-sound-guy
Replied by Mac-the-sound-guy on topic bill fitzmaurice .....
I built two of the Tuba 30’s and I do have to say they require a lot of EQ to sound good, but if you don’t have a lot of money for amps, they are quite efficient. I have thoroughly enjoyed my T30’s but they are pretty big. Overall I am pleased with them and I would build more if the driver constraints weren’t so specific. I’d give the SQ an 8/10, SPL 9/10 for the power invested.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds