Volt rv4504 enclosures

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1488 by
Volt rv4504 enclosures was created by
I'm thinking of putting a Volt RV4504 into a sealed box enclosure of about 110 litres net volume and using parametric equalization of 8dB at 40 Hz with a Q = 2. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
Edited by: JS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1492 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
How have you arrived at your decisions so far?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1495 by
Replied by on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
I only have limited space, hence the small volume, ideal volume for a critically damped sealed box is about 220 litres, but I don't have the room. Using the eq is the only way to get a decent response. Would a cabinet of this size act as an acoustic suspension rather than an infinite baffle?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1497 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
Infinite Baffle is a term used for a box where the baffle folds round and meets itself around the back. Acoustic suspension is a term used where a speaker will have specs that allow it to operate in a sealed box. I.e. a box with no tuning port. It is then impossible to tune these in a ported box. A lesson I learned whilst experimenting with Dynaudio speakers. So, are you talking about a small reflex cab that can be tuned to gain the optimum performance with your setup?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1510 by
I was thinking of a sealed box of 110 litres with parametric eq. Could you use parametric eq with a reflex enclosure of a similar size to extend the low frequency response? Volt quote -3dB of 45 Hz in a 100 litre enclosure, could you eq this to -3dB at 35 Hz?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1511 by csg
Replied by csg on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
am i right in thinking this is a hifi application rather than pa? if so, your approach might work, and the reduction in max spl should not be a problem. Ithink bag end in the us uses such approaches in the design of their hifi subs.

for pa applications, i would suggest another approach such as reflex to avoid problems reaching xmax very rappidly which will happen with a sealed, eq'd system.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1521 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
yes, the driver will run out of excursion if you play it low at loud volume with EQ, i think. Better to use a reflex if it's for PA.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1539 by
The intended use is for hi-fi, I chose the Volt 4504 driver because Rel use Volt drivers in some of their models.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1540 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
I used to have a pair of REL subs... sounded great, until they died when my roof leaked. Were they sealed? I never looked around them. Good sounding boxes. The ASS Hi-Fi cabs also use Volts (I'm not sure which models)...

However, a reflex would be smaller unless you need the fast transients that sealed boxes provide. If you have so little space anyway, a 15" might be a better choice. I'm not a fan of using EQ to sort out a system, EQ should be used to optimise sound on an already good sounding speaker. Don't mind my thoughts.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 7 months ago #4084 by rich_gale
Replied by rich_gale on topic Volt rv4504 enclosures
you wont find a better 18" woofer for your task. light cone, low fs and a xmax to die for. but why bother with an 18" in 110ltrs? i wouldnt spend te £450 on a driver unless i was gonna be making the most of it. and a 200ltr+cab is the order of the day really.in a 300ltr cabinet you will get an f3 of 34hz.at 600wrms you are gonna have xmax capabilities down to 30hz. the best thing is theMms of this driver - 1/3 lighter than the average 18" driver. Im gonna be ordering some volt 18" as soon as i pluck up the courage to spend £900!

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds