RCF L15P530 reverse engineering a box to fit a speaker

• PatricJ
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #10380 by PatricJ
Hi all!
I'm pretty new at cabinet design and such...

I'm kind of at the uphill climb here in my search in that I've got these L15P530's that I'd like to make an enclosure or two for. I've been browsing around here & there and looking at different designs trying to figure out which is gonna work best for me.

I really don't even know if these are going to work well for what I want to do, but I figure that they ought to. I've had them in a full range reflex setup and they did well- they added a decent bit of punch to the system overall. They're "on the loose" now in my garage and I think it would be great to get them into a permanent enclosure.

AAAAANNND THIS is where the maze begins! smiley29 :o

What I want to get out of these speakers is some (more) decent "punch" for all that house & techno that I listen to. These speakers are rated 40-3kHz so I figure that probably won't be much of an issue, especially if I get an EQ to go with the crossover I already have I can make it work even better. But finding something to maximize what I want is where it all gets.... hazy. :crazy: I'd really like to be in the range of around 40-300hz. I don't know if this is really a great high end number to stop at, but I don't need to have only sub-bass.

I started looking at box designs and that's REALLY got me spinning in circles. Should I use a horn of some sort or a reflex? Preferrably I'd like to use a horn (tapped? front loaded?) or a scoop. I was reading on another site, and these speakers have a relatively low EBP for the scoop I was looking at...... so, I've moved on searching for something that'll fit. If I have to go with a reflex type setup I will, but I only want to use that as a last resort. If I go with a horn, what's going to be a good design? Clearly I need to do some more reading and learning here... This is where I'm at. I'm trying to keep my head above water!! smiley23

I've noted some of the design software out there and plan on taking a look at it when I get home, but I wasn't really hoping to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. I'm just thinking there has got to be something (or several things) out there that's already been tried and tested that will "fit" my RCF's. Maybe this speaker is the wrong thing for what I want to do? I guess maybe it's better to build a box and THEN get the driver? :-D

Of course, re-inventing the wheel is not out of the question, it just makes the hill a bit steeper, and longer. :P

Here's the info on the speaker:
www.rcf.it/products/precision-tr ... rs/l15p530

Thanks for the help in advance! :thumbup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds