file Ethics

12 years 8 months ago #14148 by nickyburnell
Ethics was created by nickyburnell
Would be nice if this could be kept civil, friendly and actually get discussed.

Is it ethically correct for people who are manufacturers to be moderators on this forum?

I realize that drawing the line as to what is a manufacturer could be difficult.
I realize some ethical people who are manufacturers may be offended.
I realize I might be alone in this, but please discuss openly.

I know only one thing: If I were a manufacturer of sound equipment I would personally not be at all happy being a moderator.
That is not because of temptation, but because I would never, ever want people who had put time and personal effort into somethng like this to think that I was biased to my product
I personnaly think that the whole purpose of a place like this is to share, gain and spead unbiased knowlege.

If you disagree I respect your opinion as I hope you respect mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #14149 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Ethics
interesting, i think this comes down to the integrity of the moderator, and the declaration of what they do..... I think the moderators on this forum do a very good job, and there has only been one to my knowledge issue where the moderators had to step in on a debate that got out of control. one thing i like about fsp is the way we all moderate the forum to a degree. I find members on this site more down to earth and happy to help, but the same members on other forums can be a pain in the ass and make them selfs look silly..... this is more to do with the way all members behave. I would congratulate the members of this site for the way 99% of them behave and act, by keeping the site like it is. A happy fun helpfully and enjoyable place to chat all things audio......... it's thanks to People like yourself nicky that wants to protect what we have hear with this attitude, fsp can only grow and evolve into an even better place. smiley33

12 years 8 months ago #14150 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Ethics

nickyburnell wrote: I personnaly think that the whole purpose of a place like this is to share, gain and spead unbiased knowlege.

I think this is exactly what we do have hear, one thing that can effect this is people trolling, and for us as members not to bite on a trolls remarks, this is an issue that effects all forums, and the debate on how to stop it will allways be there.

in life its very easy for us all to look at the negatives and not the positives, but due to the positive nature of this forum's members this can only be a good thing, and help fsp grow..... If we look at the facts no topic has ever been locked or not aloud to run is course, but guided by the mods when needed, and only once where post deleted due to unfair name calling (with no facts to back up statements). How many other forums can claim this.......

one thing im not sure on is non members being able to post, i think all post should be made by members only, it only takes 2 minutes to sign up.

12 years 8 months ago #14152 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Ethics

nickyburnell wrote: Would be nice if this could be kept civil, friendly and actually get discussed..

You mean like this...

forum.speakerplans.com/freespeakerplans-...opic54063_page1.html

? wrote: Strange that it is this forum that often gets cited for Nazi behaviour yet I saw the most clumsy piece of so called moderation ever on a Forum over there just recently.

Florian dear sir you need to get a grip.

Tony

Funny how "poster" made no comment on the Mods only thread (Even though he is a moderator, and thread was started well before any Moderation took place) which asked for suggestions about how to deal with the crap coming out of "Cilla's" two mouths (Which looks mysteriously like 2x Matrix personnel), all over the R&C thread.

Then decided to voice his disagreement on completely different forum.

Very professional sir... smiley32

This is why we don't need "some" manufacturer moderators, they're quick to suggest people should get banned when they insult their "employer", then turn blind eye, while their "associates are covertly "trying" to "unfree" FSP.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

12 years 8 months ago #14158 by saul
Replied by saul on topic Ethics

nickyburnell wrote:
Is it ethically correct for people who are manufacturers to be moderators on this forum?

to be completely honest, no i don't think it is

12 years 8 months ago #14160 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Ethics
Ray, Who are you referring to in the above post?

12 years 8 months ago #14161 by audiomik
Replied by audiomik on topic Ethics

saul wrote:

nickyburnell wrote:

to be completely honest, no i don't think it is

From experience in other 'walks of life' where conflicts of interest can occur, as is being raised as a potential problem in this thread; a simple declaration of interest, most often than not, resolves things.

One thing though to bear in mind is that when someone is asked to take a decision which may be within their area of potential conflict of interest, then they will tend naturally to fall on the side away from their interest in terms of the decision they make.
Most times a clear set of guidelines resolves things easily.

Now, may I thank the volunteer Moderators on this Forum for their excellent work
Mik

12 years 8 months ago #14162 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Ethics
One thing I would add to this. I am a Mod, (I was also a Mod on a scooter in the sixties) I never asked to be but it was done anyway. I don't even know how to put anything into effect.
As regards Nicks comments, I have always sensed his bias towards such things, but the good thing is, he is entitled to his opinion and his right to express such things. I don't class myself as a manufacturer any more, but that doesn't take away my ability to help out with years of experience as one. These forums have a lot to be grateful for with regards manufactured input as so many members seem to want to copy established product, and I wonder sometimes where these forums would be without such knowledgeable input.
The other thing I would say is, don't take these forums to seriously, in the overall scheme of things a speaker forum is what it is. There are far more pressing subjects worldwide to get wound up about, and something for entertainment shouldn't be one of them.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

12 years 8 months ago #14167 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic Ethics
the number of mods should be greatly reduced

the manufacturers dont need to be mods

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

12 years 8 months ago #14169 by saul
Replied by saul on topic Ethics
just noticed this has been put in wanted section smiley36