file DCX2496 digital input to hi-fi power amps

15 years 6 months ago #3946 by JS
I'm thinking of using a DCX2496 connected through its digital AES input to several hi-fi power amps. The only problem with this is that the amps have no attenuators. I think you need to run the dcx at near full level for maximum resolution, so I presume you would need to put potentiometers between the dcx outputs and the power amps. Would this be a good idea or is it better to buy some reasonably priced s/h pro power amps (MC2 any good)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 6 months ago #3949 by ajw
No need just connect the DCX direct to the amps and control the input to the DCX. A lot of this Resolution bullsh*t has come from the Hi-Fi brigade and unfortunately the majority of them come from planet ZOG.

I regularly listen to some speakers in my room with a tri-amped system connected to a DCX, never heard anything untoward at all.

But then again my speaker cable only cost £1.50/meter and is just made from copper so that is probably why.

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.[/email:2pxnki7c]

15 years 6 months ago #3950 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic DCX2496 digital input to hi-fi power amps
As long as you're running the DCX at higher than about -40dBFS you will still be using more resolution than CD quality has.

Remember a CD is 16bit resolution, the DCX has 24bit A/D and D/A conversion and probably 32bit internal resolution.

15 years 6 months ago #3951 by JS
Would there be any advantage at all in connecting straight from the AES digital out on my soundcard rather than from the analogue output?

15 years 6 months ago #3952 by chaudio
Eliminating unnecessary conversions between analog and digital is always a good idea so if you've got the facility, do it!

15 years 6 months ago #3971 by JS
If I wanted to run a DCX2496 as a 4 way crossover (with 2 x DCX2496), is there any way I could still use the digital input? Or is there a 2 in/8 out crossover with a digital input for reasonable money?

15 years 6 months ago #3979 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic DCX2496 digital input to hi-fi power amps
I don't think there are any budget 2 in 8 out x\o's, but you can probably get a BSS 388 Omnidrive for about £500.00

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

15 years 6 months ago #3984 by chaudio
You should be able to split the digital signal into two two Ultradrives and configure them so that one takes the left signal and one the right.

15 years 4 months ago #4842 by JS
When I use the AES/EBU connection on the dcx is it normal for the input meters to be clipping most of the time with the input gain set to -15dB? Do the input meters do this even if no internal clipping is taking place?

15 years 4 months ago #4843 by chaudio
Interesting..... depends whether the clip light means you're hitting 0dBFS on the digital input (which is possible), in which case the input gain control won't make any difference.

But to hit 0dBFS on the digital input you must be driving the source very hard. Try adjusting the master volume on your soundcard (assuming that's what you're using). If you take it down just a few dB the input meters should stop hitting the red lights.

I'd have to do some research (and have one to play with) to answer it properly.