Invisi-bin

More
15 years 10 months ago #2581 by jsg
Invisi-bin was created by jsg

Has anyone considered how they might design a speaker that you can see straight through? (as opposed to manufacturers' inflated claims, which I always see though anyway)

Perhaps the cabinet could be made from transparent aluminim?( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_oxynitride ). And the speaker cones could be Mylar. But what about the voice coil and magnet?
Edited by: jsg

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2590 by iand4403
Replied by iand4403 on topic Invisi-bin
you want a transparent magnet? Seriously?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2613 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Invisi-bin
Just drape one of them newfangled invisibility cloaks over your speakers of choice.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6064620.stm

then laugh as your speaker devours small children as they stroll by.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 10 months ago #2630 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic Invisi-bin
JSG, can you change that picture, i'm starting to look like him, minus the pipe

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 10 months ago #2641 by deadbeat
Enviro-Bin
Invisi-Bin

Whoa! It's like we're going back through time in fads - hemp yoghurt crap and crystal pepsi.
What next?
iBin?
Inflata-Bin?
Cabbage Patch-bin?
Has-bin? (for the aging baby boomers)
[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

i think some Serious Business is required at this point.

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 10 months ago #2644 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Invisi-bin
I've heard a few dust bins in my time.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
15 years 10 months ago #2649 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Invisi-bin
Next will be the bin-bin, audible only to other bass bins.

As for serious business, I've given the Bandpass Bertha plans to Adam to go on the main site when it's ready. I might post them on the forums in the mean time. And chaudio has plots that we took at the sound-off - maybe if we ask nicely he'll post them.
Edited by: jsg

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 10 months ago #2652 by deadbeat
Does it come with a complementary pot of British Racing Green or do i have to butcher my imaginary Lotus Seven?

On a more serious note - great stuff. I'm very interested in a small bp like that (never done anything with BPs). Is the concept scalable to different sizes (not the plans, but the general concept), and do you have computer modelling instructions?

Beranek\'s law

More
15 years 10 months ago #2657 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Invisi-bin
tjey used to have wedges made from plexiglas on eurovision.

More
15 years 10 months ago #2663 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Invisi-bin

Deadbeat wrote: Does it come with a complementary pot of British Racing Green or do i have to butcher my imaginary Lotus Seven?

No, you drive to B&Q in your imaginary Lotus andpray they haven't EOL'd it. I keepa stock of the stuff because I live in fear of "Uh, yeah, we don't seem to do it any more. Dunno why."

Deadbeat wrote: On a more serious note - great stuff. I'm very interested in a small bp like that (never done anything with BPs). Is the concept scalable to different sizes (not the plans, but the general concept), and do you have computer modelling instructions?

Well, the bandpass concept scales down as small as you want basically, which is why you see them used for "multimedia" subs. They can be scaled up but you start having to be careful about airload effects when you have big, multi-cabinet stacks.

Before Bandpass Bertha I built a pair of compact subs (100 litre) based around Colossus 12MB. They work fine apart from quite noticable thermal compression at full power. But the light cone allowed the design to get up to 150Hz quite convincingly. I think theydo 97dB in half space 40-150Hz -3dB.

As for modelling, I use my own software. It uses laplace domain, 2-port network elements and lumped-component acoustic analogy to model pretty much any kind of bandpass or reflex cab. There's no user interface, so you have to be handy with C++ and hard maths to be able to use it effectively.

Ars est celare artem

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds