JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans

• djhornloaded
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 5 months ago #4997 by djhornloaded
JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans was created by djhornloaded
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and plan on building a couple of 15" rearloaded horn from a set of plans from speakerstore.nl. I plan on using these above sub bass folded horn from 80-800Hz. I have search the net for original plans but to no avail and also the recommended woofer for the original design was the 15"JBL E130. These will be used for mobiledj and plan on using posibly 15mm ply and PD1550 or 18Sound new 15NMB420. Can someone lead meto a path of a successful buildand where can I find the original plans or will the speakerstoreplans will do? If they do sound pretty good I will build a total of 8 scoops 15" loaded.

Bass how low can you gO!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4998 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans
Hi, on speakerstore you can find fane scoop design, but it's customized... the rear panels behind the baffle is a triangle....but in the original plans there's not....
However I have plans for 15" scoop jbl, fane, eminence, stipe microscoops too (15" version of hog).

• djhornloaded
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 5 months ago #4999 by djhornloaded
Replied by djhornloaded on topic JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans
Thanks for the reply so which on sounds the best for my purpose? These 15" Scoops will be used for mid-bass from 80-800Hz and either the PD1550 or 18Sound 15NMB420 woofers. Are your plans available free of charge or do I have to buy them? Can you post some pictures? Thanks!

Bass how low can you gO!

More
15 years 5 months ago #5000 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans
80-800hz[img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
You won't get that nicely out of a scoop any day, my friend.

I'd strongly consider dividing that up into two bands.
The only designs that'd do that range are reflex boxes.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• djhornloaded
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 5 months ago #5014 by djhornloaded
From what I know about 15" scoops or even 18" or 21" there is a point where thehorn acts as abass reflex through the front loading?

Bass how low can you gO!

More
15 years 5 months ago #5015 by mykey
Replied by mykey on topic JBL 15\" Single loaded scoops plans
Djhornlaoded!
Have you been looking at the GSA site?
he use's scoops, but it's a different folding, you can see from his workshop photo's

nearly all scoops will have a big dip in the frequency after 100Hz, so to ask them to be flat-ish to 800 is a bit too much

what you need is a straight horn, around 80cm deep, and it's still not going to get you near to 800

I did a scoop around 2 years ago that had rounded curves all the way down the hornfolding, this had a superb midrange, andI was thinking of using it in that way,
then I changed my mind and went for a straight horn design, like the F1Dance stack

Anyone got any ply?

More
15 years 5 months ago #5016 by mykey
www.gsany.com/

check out "products in development", few pictures down, not your traditional scoop folding

Anyone got any ply?

• djhornloaded
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 5 months ago #5019 by djhornloaded
Hi Mykey, thanks for that reply I know Garry personally and Shorty I am just curious as to what they both did on their scoops how they can get it up to around 800-900Hz. I have heard the system in Coney Island in the bumper car rink, but his double 15" scoops has straight panels on the bottom instead of curved. He loaded it with a pair of 18 Sound 15" mid bass woofer and sounded incredible I think it went as high as 1kHz. So I am just curious as to what can be done to what is available to give that punch I am looking for playback dj system I am planning on building. That is why I am here to maybe find out from guy's out in Europe on what they have done to the original JBL design of the fifties and sixties to what is currently available now for modern sound of today! Both Garry and Shorty will not give their recipe on their scoops. By the way if any help from anyone is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Bass how low can you gO!

More
15 years 5 months ago #5020 by mykey

djhornloaded wrote: Hi Mykey, thanks for that reply I know Garry personally and Shorty I am just curious as to what they both did on their scoops how they can get it up to around 800-900Hz. I have heard the system in Coney Island in the bumper car rink, but his double 15" scoops has straight panels on the bottom instead of curved. He loaded it with a pair of 18 Sound 15" mid bass woofer and sounded incredible I think it went as high as 1kHz. So I am just curious as to what can be done to what is available to give that punch I am looking for playback dj system I am planning on building. That is why I am here to maybe find out from guy's out in Europe on what they have done to the original JBL design of the fifties and sixties to what is currently available now for modern sound of today! Both Garry and Shorty will not give their recipe on their scoops. By the way if any help from anyone is greatly appreciated, thanks!

A bit of EQ'ing?
who's Shorty? If you know Gary personally, ask him if you can look in his LMS settings

Anyone got any ply?

• djhornloaded
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 5 months ago #5032 by djhornloaded
He's not going to give it out, maybe if I bought a couple from him I will maybe understand what is goin' on. If you look carefully at his scoops empty you can see the baffle behind is upside down, in other words the air is moving towards the top instead of down and around the triangle then to the mouth. The depth of the cabinet is deeper also. www.soundbyshorty.com

Bass how low can you gO!

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds