Question about the sound of scoops.

• wafflesomd
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1921 by wafflesomd
Question about the sound of scoops. was created by wafflesomd
Alrighty, just got back from a party we held last night.

Here's my question.

For this party, we only had 3 scoops available, as we didn't have a driver for the 4th one. We stacked them together upright, so three scoops side by side. We noticed that it was incredibly lacking, Despite being roughly 2x the sound we had last time.

After a few more different placement tests, we ended up putting one in each corner of the room, so we only used two. We also noticed a complete lack of bass in the middle of the floor. I assume this is destructive interference, correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the real question.

I'm going to have all four scoops used at this next party, in a building roughly 70ftx40ft. Now, they are supposed to be used in groups of 4, at least right? Is there really a difference in sound between 3 and 4? Will the subs interfere with each other being side by side each other?

By the way, here's the party we threw, it was a total success. Living in a small, close minded town in southern Ohio, "underground" music isn't that popular. We tried a little bit of Electro-house with dismal response. Then some Happy Hardcore, still nothing. Then put on the Darkstep, Diesel boy, Spor, Ewun, etc... Then everyone there sprung to their feet and got into it, it was amazing, and totally unexpected.

Here's a little clip, it sounded awesome. Two scoops, and four 12" two way cabinets.

s21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/tehmalakai/Neils 6 14 08/?action=view&current=MVI_6022.flv

Edited by: wafflesomd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1930 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Question about the sound of scoops.
it may be that the room is small and that you are getting cancellations from the bass hitting the back wall and bouncing back, try covering the facing wall with duvets/heavy sheets/foam etc. Also are the Drivers correct for the Cabinets and do they have enough amp power?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1931 by
Are you 100% on the wiring of the cabs... nothing silly like one cab out of phase? (stick a battery on the speaker cable and check all the drivers go the same way when connected).

• wafflesomd
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1949 by wafflesomd
Replied by wafflesomd on topic Question about the sound of scoops.
I'm going to assume it was because the room was so small. It was only 12x24 feet.

I've got them loaded with C18-600LF </span>and powering all four with two EP2500 in bridged mono.</span></font>
Edited by: wafflesomd

More
15 years 10 months ago #1953 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Question about the sound of scoops.

wafflesomd wrote: I'm going to assume it was because the room was so small. It was only 12x24 feet.

I've got them loaded with C18-600LF and powering all four with two EP2500 in bridged mono.

I can immediately imagine many reasons for your issues...

You've started this topic on speakerplans, so I'll put my reply there.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

• wafflesomd
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1954 by wafflesomd
Speakerplans seems to be down right now.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1960 by levyte357

wafflesomd wrote: Speakerplans seems to be down right now.

Yes it does... ah well, we'll continue here then...

As Adam said firstly check all your wiring is in phase...

But personally, I would get rid of your P.Audio drivers, and at least get used FANE 18XBs if you are on tight budget.

If you could sell your EP2500s, and get a used Proline 3000/EV-P3000/Qsc 4050HD, you would be very suprised.

By the way, even though the EP2500 specs say 2400w @ 4ohm bridge, thats garbage. It only has 1500VA transformer.
Which means heat and deatheventually, if you intend to slam it every gig @ 4ohm bridge.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Cookiie

• wafflesomd
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1962 by wafflesomd

levyte357 wrote:

wafflesomd wrote: Speakerplans seems to be down right now.

<div></div>
<div>Yes it does... ah well, we'll continue here then... </div>
<div></div>
<div>As Adam said firstly check all your wiring is in phase...</div>
<div></div>
<div>But personally, I would get rid of your P.Audio drivers, and at least get used FANE 18XBs if you are on tight budget.</div>
<div></div>
<div>If you could sell your EP2500s, and get a used Proline 3000/EV-P3000/Qsc 4050HD, you would be very suprised. </div>
<div></div>
<div>By the way, even though the EP2500 specs say 2400w @ 4ohm bridge, thats garbage. It only has 1500VA transformer. </div>
<div>Which means heat and deatheventually, if you intend to slam it every gig @ 4ohm bridge.</div>
<div></div>

Those drivers are double the price of our P.audio's. Can't really afford that. Our EP2500's have been running great for just a little over a year, so I'm sticking with those.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1965 by levyte357

wafflesomd wrote: Those drivers are double the price of our P.audio's. Can't really afford that. Our EP2500's have been running great for just a little over a year, so I'm sticking with those.

Are you based in UK?

You could probably get hold of used 18XBs for about £90 each, in fact Celestion 18s might be better than your P-Audios, andI can definetly get hold of those for £120 each * NEW *.

IMHO, Do yourself a favour and ditch the P-Audios...
Edited by: levyte357

• wafflesomd
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1985 by wafflesomd
Wait, don't you have to set the scoops in reverse phase, 180 degrees. I think I remember reading that somewhere.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds