file 1U amplifiers

15 years 8 months ago #2712 by jsg
1U amplifiers was created by jsg
Hi

Just to see if anybody is reading this forum, I'll ask a question:

When I look for 1U amps, I see two distinct categories:
- Linear PSU low power amps at 50-100 watts per channel, costing 100-150UKP
- Hi-tech switchers at 500-2000wpc, lightweight, but costly at 700UKP plus

I'd be very interested in switching amps in the 200-500wpc range at a similar price to reasonable 2U amps like the Yamaha P3500S or P5000S.

Why don't these seem to exist? Surely this would be the market sweet-spot, and it shouldn't be that hard to reduce the space needed once you've dispensed with the big-ass transformer.

So, forum dudes, what's up with 1U amps?

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #2716 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic 1U amplifiers
its an interesting point, not one ive got any sort of answer to but if your buying a 2U switch mode it'l be light anyway so one more U of rack space wont hurt you too much surely, cant say ive seen many linear psu 1U amps of any power they i would imagine be a rare breed just to get enough turns of wire on the transformer.

do it for the love of the music

15 years 8 months ago #2722 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic 1U amplifiers
Switching amps at those power ratings would be relatively easy to slip into that form factor, i think.

jake on the other forum made an 8 channel class d smps amp in a 2U case (I think it was 2U), with 4x100W modules from Sure Electronics.

I'd be looking at the Tripath chips (TK2350, TA3020 are suitable - 300W and 500W respectively). Tripath have reference designs on these chips, and 41hz.com sell kits for a few of them (based on highly modified ref designs and some original). Paired with a suitable SMPS (or a diy one if you're really into things), it would be a neat solution.

@sks01

I haven't seen a lot of 1U linear psu amps either, apart from those low power ones jsg described.
Must be an exercise in 'lateral thinking', fitting everything into a 1U format. Like fitting as many people as you can into a VW beetle.

Andy, you build amps for a living, what do you think?

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

15 years 8 months ago #2724 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic 1U amplifiers
C-Mark have a range of higher powered models available. I assume that these are the same as the Thomann jobbies re-badged.

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.[/email:2pxnki7c]

15 years 8 months ago #2725 by boycey
Replied by boycey on topic 1U amplifiers
chevin a500 is 350wpc at 4r and 1u, excellent sound too [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

this

15 years 8 months ago #2753 by csg
Replied by csg on topic 1U amplifiers
the old hill chameleon amps managed to get 1500w pc into a 4r load in a 1u package. good sounding too, when they wanted to work

they had a flay toroidal tranny, wound with flat copper ribbon rather than round wire. tranny used to buzz a little, but not too bad

so, it can be done

15 years 8 months ago #2805 by matrix amp
Replied by matrix amp on topic 1U amplifiers
Hi CSG
so you measured it at 1500w pc at 4ohms that is diferent to the test i did on it.

uk made

15 years 8 months ago #2806 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic 1U amplifiers
did you get round to a test on the proline andy? is be intrested in seeing the real stats if youve got them?

do it for the love of the music

15 years 8 months ago #2820 by matrix amp
Replied by matrix amp on topic 1U amplifiers
no not had one yet,also it is diffacult for me to post what i mesure amps at,would be better for people to come here and see me test the amps.
and i leve it up to them to post the results.
old amps like the cameleon ok If any one looks at the manule for the cameleon,it states its sine wave output is 350 watts per channel,this is the same as my test results.
1500watts is music power,
people need to read the small print.

The best part of the cameleon is the Power transformer,by MR Holden.

Had the new EV in last week USA model

uk made

15 years 8 months ago #2822 by csg
Replied by csg on topic 1U amplifiers
i dont remeber that in the manual. the amp im refering to is the old 3000d, going back a few years - the one with the push up and down attenuators. i had a pair of them along with the 2000d's and they managed to power a big system quite well. the sine wave rating may well have been 350wpc, but who plays sine waves?