Red diesel and vegetable oil

• justamadman
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1877 by justamadman
Red diesel and vegetable oil was created by justamadman
How readily available is red diesel???? and where could a person get hold of relatively large quantities?????

and how would you go about converting a diesel engine to run off vegetable oil???

this is for a large towable generator and not a car so as far as i'm aware there are no illegalities????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1885 by sks01
Replied by sks01 on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
as far as i know as long as you get a filter on the fuel line your ready to go as far as cooking oils concerned cant help for red diesel though.

do it for the love of the music

More
15 years 10 months ago #1886 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
red diesel, just speak nicely to a farmer. or find a oil/fuel distributor near by. Try the yellow pages under 'Fuel oils' or similar. When ive used gennies i just took the hire agreement to a local supplier and they where fine to let me have Cherry.

• justamadman
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 10 months ago #1891 by justamadman
Replied by justamadman on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
got our own gennie

More
15 years 10 months ago #1905 by dj maca roots
Replied by dj maca roots on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
We use a small 5kw gen. to run our Bio Pro takes 18 hours to run. So then gen is running on strait used vegetable oil for that process. Works great!
you just need to build a custom tank set up to run and heat the veg oil. Some kind of a switch valve to select veg oil or the Bio/petrol diesel.
Good luck

Eternal Party At The End Of Time

More
15 years 10 months ago #1988 by s.c.a
Replied by s.c.a on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
ive got an audio 80 tdi, bosch fuel pump.. has been running on a 50/50 mix of veg oil/diesel for a while now. Wintertime goes back to straight diesel, but now in the summer runs fine.. smells a bit mind, you can get some odd looks driving past pedestrians.. trying to find the moving chipshop.. :)

More
15 years 10 months ago #1989 by calsystems
Replied by calsystems on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
what sort of oil do you use? old/used?
how do you mix it?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1991 by s.c.a
Replied by s.c.a on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
brand new vegoil, bought in bulk from a cash and carry or somewhere.. i useually pull in before the petrol station and wack in say 10 litres, then drive in, and put in 10 litres of diesel. It mixes when it goes in i seem to find.. a couple of shakes to the rear of the car wouldnt hurt..

I know a few guys that have the old chip oil from the local chippy, bung it in a big tank with a tap on the botton. Leave it settle a bit, and filter it through some fine filters.. a pair of tights first, then gradually finer filters.. (av a look on ebay)
A pre-warmer would be the only way to run on pure veg oil, an old transit engine would love it:) not sure about the fancy common rail turbo deisel motors around now..

• ginger_biscuit69
More
15 years 7 months ago #3773 by ginger_biscuit69
Replied by ginger_biscuit69 on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
yeah, modern HTI engines, no chance, dont go there!!

for older 'simple' diesel engines, as found on older transits, landys, most gensets etc, you can get away with 50-50 mix when its warm outside, then have to use 80-20 diesel - oil when cold unless you have preheat (which isnt a DIY thing).

modern engines with HTI or modern turbo's, planet saving chips and electronic crap, will die at even a sniff of veggyness.

not much advantage now anyway, veggy oil is nearly £1 per litre now too, so the saving isnt particularily worth the extra hassle i think. I have a nice local source which sells at 50p per litre to me.

and red diesel is literally normal diesel with an added pigment to make the fuel red which just burns off in the engine. no changes needed. Just dont get caught using it in a car, thats just plain silly!

More
15 years 7 months ago #3806 by haymere
Replied by haymere on topic Red diesel and vegetable oil
Just google vow 2.

They make preheaters for all types of vehicles

Am about to convert my car and van.

Unit costs about £100 and about £75 for one of their recommended installers to do it

Mark

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds