TDA's 4x10 bass horn v2-Simmed

More
13 years 2 months ago #11403 by mykey-
Replied by mykey- on topic TDA's 4x10 bass horn v2-Simmed
doesn't work like that
you need to use a higher xmax, you can't add the 4 drivers together, see it has one driver

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #11404 by mykey-
have a look at the Ciare ND series of 10'' drivers
I remember them having xmax around 8mm

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #11405 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic TDA's 4x10 bass horn v2-Simmed
well it seems like there is a reason no one has this cab, maybe with 2 12's, seems like its easier to find suitable 12's easier, and the thought of 2 ohms....well it frightens me

More
13 years 2 months ago #11406 by mykey-
I think no one has built it because the drawing isn't finished, the cab would be wired series parallel

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #11407 by MAutopsy
thanks, im learning more and more every day.

More
13 years 2 months ago #11408 by mykey-
4 drivers in series parallel, 8 ohms, then use a bridged amplifier

More
13 years 2 months ago #11422 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic TDA's 4x10 bass horn v2-Simmed
While we're on the subject of 4 bass speakers in a cab, right from the early days it's been tried. The original idea was to get 4 small voice speakers in a box which combined, would produce the performance of an 18, but, due to the small coils, would be much faster with transients. Volt were a favorite to be used. The only downside was that small bass speakers in those days, like some today, weren't very efficient, so you may only have ended up with the same spec as a single large speaker. It was also more expensive to do. With todays advancement and technology. I think we're probably better sticking to single speakers
Older members on here may remember a guy who did lots of small speakers. His name was Nick Cohen, his company was AMS. Artist Monitoring Service. I don't think he used anything bigger than a 10, although I could mistaken.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
13 years 2 months ago #11443 by mykey-
yes exactly

looks as if the outcome would be the same as 1 x 18

but check this out, specially you Tony. have a look at what they have seemed to have done, they have even called it a fancy name...balanced , damped technology

it looks like they have removed the 18'' driver, and replaced it with a funky baffle and 4 x 10''???

www.bassmaxx.com/products/pdfs/z5000.pdf

More
13 years 2 months ago #11451 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic TDA's 4x10 bass horn v2-Simmed
:( Just seen the pictures. Obviously, it would have to be heard, but as a horn cab where you would expect gain, there is nothing outstanding there. The only thing the box would have to offer maybe, is a quicker response time. On the power handling side, I think there is a limit as to what you should put in any one cab. All these power handling figures don't give the whole story. We are all being forced through chassis speaker Manufacturers to use high power handling speakers, but I personally have never been happy with it. I know these days everyone and their dog is after the magic small system, and you can see the attraction with a big speaker. For me, If I had 2000 watts of bass, sound wise I would get a better bass sound from four 500 watt cabs than from a single 2k cab. However, one must move with the times and work with what we are presented with.
Back in the day you would have gone to Wembly Arena and listened to a big system that was 15-20K and it would have been a good gig. Now you would get 100K line Array, and I'm not sure whether it would be more enjoyable.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 2 months ago #11462 by MAutopsy
smiley20 thanks Tony. I never considered building this, just more for my little brain to process

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds