SD15

More
15 years 10 months ago #154 by jsg
SD15 was created by jsg

I had a great time at the soundoff on Saturday - Chris's new bass bins sounded very impresive and show that you can do good things with 15 inch drivers in the bass range.

So here's a question. Does anyone think there would be interest in a sub designed specifically to go with HD15s, that is more sensitive than X1 (at the expense of not going as low), stacks neatly with HD15s and uses the same 15 inch driver that HD15 uses?

Ars est celare artem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #163 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic SD15
Here are some params for the four recommended drivers for HD15. They seem to differ somewhat and it's unlikely a bandpass could be right for all of them. What do people use most often?

PD PD154 39Hz .205 149l 6.5mm 4" 29.65TM

JBL E140 (obsolete?) 32Hz .17 300l 1.1mH 3.5mm 4"

Eminence Kappa 15LF 39Hz .38 159l 1.27mH 5.5mm 3"

Fame Colossus15B 38.9Hz .31 122l 3mm 4" 32TM

Ars est celare artem

• heathrow_b_line
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 10 months ago #165 by heathrow_b_line
Replied by heathrow_b_line on topic SD15
John nice meeting you and hearing your bertha
What about the PD1550?

Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.

More
15 years 10 months ago #167 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic SD15
It was a pleasure to meet you John.

The pd154 is the popular choice for HD15.
It's a great idea, bandpass or not.
Edited by: GIVEorTAKE

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

More
15 years 10 months ago #171 by jsg
Hi

I expect 1550 would be OK.I'm hoping that I can design for whatever people are already using in their HD15s. That way, they only have to keep stock of one driver. Then you can play "mix and match" if you have say 10 HD15 cabs, 10 SD15 cabs and 10 drivers, you can move the drivers between the cabs. Or something. But a bandpass design will be fussier about using different drivers than HD15 is.

I'd also need to collaborate with someone who fancies building a prototype. I won't post designs before prototypes have been made due to the "controversy" that causes...

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 10 months ago #277 by tb_mike
Replied by tb_mike on topic SD15
I think in the UK it would be Fane or PD but in the USA eminence would be used.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #312 by
Replied by on topic SD15
i reckon that having the same driver for both sounds like a pretty good idea. mind you i do think that a DIY sub design is needed for the PD1550.

the only designs i know, so far, that take the PD1550 are the martin mk2/3 and the ASS bs1200/500, are there any other hornloaded designs?

Thanks.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #313 by
Replied by on topic SD15
Also, i would be willing to help design (i am fairly new to designing though) and do prototypes if this project gets off the ground.

More
15 years 10 months ago #328 by danger noise
Replied by danger noise on topic SD15
a wicked one modded for 15's would be the obvious solution as it works on the same principles as a hd15 and is just tuned much lower...a WOwith 12's would work but i reckon you could make a 15 version that was 2ft x 3.5-4ft x 1.5ft which would make it a more sensible cab size for moving and stacking etc...

More
15 years 10 months ago #387 by jsg
Hi

Thanks for the offer Calm.

Looking at specs, PD.154 looks like it will be the main driver, with the Fane as an alternative since its specs are quite similar. The Eminence has a 3 inch VC which rules it out completely. The JBL might be suitable, but seriously, who buys JBL drivers for anything other than replacements?

Cheers, John

PS on first glance, the 1550 looks less suitable for this box than the 154, and since it's not in the list of recommended drivers for HD15, I'll rule it out. If there aren't enough bass bins for 1550, well, that's a different project.

Edited by: jsg

Ars est celare artem

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds