file Monitor systems- Reversing phase?

13 years 4 months ago #10593 by MAutopsy
Monitor systems- Reversing phase? was created by MAutopsy
Hello,
Read somewhere that to reduce feedback from stage monitors that you reverse the phase of the monitor system. How is this accomplished? (im not much for electronic "experiments" i have been zapped enough) any help would be great, as this seems to be my biggest problem in live sound

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #10595 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
It will depend on whether the monitor system is analogue or DSP. If the latter, in most cases you can press a button.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

13 years 4 months ago #10603 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
No that's rubbish. Because of the varying distance of mains to monitors there is no way this could be guaranteed to have a positive effect, it might just as easily make it worse.

Tony

13 years 4 months ago #10608 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
I think confusion reigns now.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

13 years 4 months ago #10613 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
No confusion Tony, you were absolutely correct in telling the OP how to reverse the phase on the monitor feed. I was just pointing out that it may not be desirable to do as it probably would not achieve its aims which is to reduce feedback.

Tony

13 years 4 months ago #10614 by djeddie
Replied by djeddie on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
If the article the OP was thinking about is the same one I'm thinking of then it showed a mic stand with two floor wedges. The floor wedges were wired out of phase with each other. There was a bit of text explaining how this was supposed to reduce feedback.
IIRC it was in one of those magazine / big adverts that Peavey did.

13 years 3 months ago #10627 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
YAMAHA Sound Reinforcement Manual- Page 181

13 years 2 weeks ago #11888 by Daz
Replied by Daz on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
Hi all
Reversing the phase can help shift the feedback frequency. Usefull if your feedback is occuring in just the wrong band. It can also have the opposite effect and move the FB frequency into a wanted range. Its not unusual to find floor monitors with an invert switch on them to let you do a quick switchover. I think tho that in this day and age using narrow band eq or automatic FB destroyer is a better and more relyable bet. Ringing out the monitors before you use them is an essential part of the setup to.

Daz

12 years 9 months ago #14007 by AudioDreemz
Replied by AudioDreemz on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?

Daz wrote: Hi all
Reversing the phase can help shift the feedback frequency. Usefull if your feedback is occuring in just the wrong band. It can also have the opposite effect and move the FB frequency into a wanted range. Its not unusual to find floor monitors with an invert switch on them to let you do a quick switchover. I think tho that in this day and age using narrow band eq or automatic FB destroyer is a better and more relyable bet. Ringing out the monitors before you use them is an essential part of the setup to.

Daz

thats true Daz,reversing the phase is the last choice to use for feedback reduction since it would affect the sound from the monitors unless everything on stage is reversed ,ringing out the room is the valuable choice.

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #14009 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Monitor systems- Reversing phase?
:thumbup: